Chapter forty-three: A guide's gonna do what a guide's gonna do

"You guys are crazier than the last travelers. You're taking the battle to the place where the dragon is?" Avalar led us to another maze where the path almost looked like heaven, because of the cloudy surroundings. For a statue, she didn't look that much bothered with her heavy steps.

"At least that's what we're doing," I said.

"It's a hard job to handle. But taking the battle in there would end this once and for all," Chloriette added. 

Avalar smiled and looked up. "As your guardian of this maze or guide for short, I will lead you to the portal."

"This switch, how long until we get there?" Claes asked, looking around the cloud walls. We turned right before entering a loop entrance. "Let me tell you something about the Shallow maze, it's full of tricks and deadly traps. You may not know when it'll come. Like right now." I stayed alert because I thought that whatever traps or hungry monsters are hidden here could abruptly appear everywhere. "Despite that, the switch is not that hard to find. Trust me."

"Have you helped a guy named Aisle 'Seven' McKenzie, together with the others?" I asked.

"Hmm . . . oh, yes, I almost forgot about him. It was many years ago. For a normal man, he's very crazy- risked his work, his own life, even his shoes trying to stop the knights. Yes, I also know about them. But with his worthy companions that truly helped him, especially the King named Xandier- smart man by the way. Anyway, after what they did, everything went back to normal. They came back, step by step, to their world."

"Step by step?" Lenard was shocked.

"What? You're expecting a shortcut?" Avalar asked. "There isn't any. Unless there's another portal over the other side where you're going."

"Mt. Impyerno is the place where we are heading," I told her. "Luckily, a Dragonsmith told me that I have to stab it in the heart. I guess that's mostly the weakness of the dragon."

"The Dragonsmith told you? I thought he's taking a vacation."

"He was taking a nice break until we came along." Sean adjusted his glasses.

I walked beside Avalar. "So wait . . . you knew each other?"

It took a few seconds before she turned to me and answered, "Huh? Oh, yes. You see, I also have a history with Rhoamon – do you call him that?"

"Uh-huh," I nodded.

"Good. Hmm, it reminded me of something funny. For some unknown reason, my spirit keeps on transferring to other statues, which coincidentally involves heroes having quests and all. And there's one time that I helped a Dragonslayer like you from previous Eras. And so it happened that I met Rhoamon and his elf."

"You seriously don't know why your spirit's like this?" Chloriette joined.

"Wait, don't start. I have to document this via memory." Lenard walked behind her.

"As I told you, no. My memory's jammed or something." Avalar put her hands on her hips, then she raised a finger. "But there's one thing that I believe. I believe I am sent to different locations for a reason. As if the will come from the Great Almighty of Heaven." She gestured her hands above as if receiving a blessing from the sky. "But who knows? Ever since I'm stuck inside this stone figure, my spirit didn't transfer to another one ever since. Until I know why." Avalar looked at each of us with a smile.

We went to a new area of the maze. There were no walls this time, instead, it was like a huge jungle. Big insects crawling, hopping, and flying over the big tropical flowers above us. Thanks to its giant petals, the raindrops couldn't touch us. "So, how old are you?" Avalar asked me.