Chapter fifty-two: Taking the battle to the sky

A high pitch frequency screeched in my eardrums. The blur blocked my vision as I kept blinking, but my sight was quickly recovered. My claymore was still in my hand. I was hearing the sound of thunder dimly. Suddenly, voices were coming from far away- calling my name despite the muffling sounds. Over the mountains, the lava flowed down toward the surface. On top of the sky were black clouds flashing with bright, flashing lights. Inside my mind came another voice, but in a whisper. Even for a slayer, you will lose, it said.

"Kid!" Over the burned fields came the captain while supporting Lenard by wrapping his arm around his neck. Sean and Victor were also supporting Chloriette. They were all filthy as well, including our clothes torn in shreds. I tried to stand up, but the pain I felt let me down, literally. I haven't experienced pain for so long, I even forgot how it felt like. I lost grip on my claymore and my eyes started to fall. "Xabe?" Chloriette's eyes widened.

I wanted to speak, to say something, but all I could do was not thinking at all. "Oh no." Sean reacted quickly to propped me gently in his arms. His thumb shone as he pressed my forehead. "He's not feeling well," he said to them.

"This can't be happening." Victor shook his head. "The dragon would be dead by the time its heart impaled."

"Something's not right," Lenard said.

"The Devastrigon." Chloriette looked up.

"It flew up through the clouds." I saw Claes while he gazed at the swirling black clouds. "That's where the dragon might be traveling to our world," he said. "Sean, do you have something to heal him?" Sadly, Sean shook his head. "A healing potion wouldn't do nor different types of medicine. The damage is too great."

"Sean, what do you mean? We need him." Claes pleaded. But I saw in Sean's eyes that this patient was different. 

"We saw how powerful the dragon is," Sean looked up to him. "We saw what it did to Xabe. He took a whole lot of damage."

"There's no way to heal him?" Chloriette asked. Sean looked at me with sympathy, then turned to her. Instead of saying anything, he shook his head. I knew it shattered her, including the rest of them. "We're too late. The plan didn't work," Lenard said.

"After all we've been through," Victor muttered. On the clouds, somehow I saw a skeletal spirit. It was Hollow, floating while blending behind the darkness. His ghostly voice breathed with words, There is no way you could win, Dragonslayer. History has changed.

No way could win? No! There is no way. Suddenly, many spirits had gathered in a form of a circle. The Devastrigon was strong enough because it healed completely, we're too slow. We're too late. No, I couldn't just let us stay here and let those people die. He must go, to a place of hallow, he must choose win or lose. He must find the destroyer, for it is hidden in the chamber. Life itself rests in his hands, or it will have disintegrated where it lands, they all recited again and again. Why my friends hadn't seen these spirits?

 Why my friends hadn't seen these spirits?