Chapter 5

Healing begins here.....

The first week in Philly was a blur. The rental didn't have a lot of furniture just bedroom furniture, some couches and a dining table which was fine. Our biggest issues had been the basics like bed linen, towels and kitchen items. We did some emergency shopping for house stuff and lived of Pop-tarts and Pizza for the first few days. No-one cared we were all so excited to be at University.

Our departure from Logan had been fairly low key. We only did dinners with our immediate families and one night out with a couple of Owen and Troy's football buddy's who were going to other University's.

My parents were still in the dark about what had happened to me and I was happy to keep it that way. I still hadn't dealt with the major issues and knew that I wouldn't be able to move on or have a healthy male, female relationship until I sorted myself out. But, for now I was burying my head in the sand and figured that while I had Mandy, Owen and Troy I would be okay.

During orientation week we all busied ourselves with activities. My special support team made sure that there was someone with me all the time. Mandy and I joined a martial arts group. Owen joined a small local gym with me and Troy was going to be swimming with me from five to six every morning before training. There wasn't going to be an opportunity to be alone unless I wanted it. It was heart warming that they were looking out for me.

They even tried to make sure that at least one of them was in each of my classes with me. The only class that was an issue was second year Chem and second year Physics. I had taken some accelerated classes back home so was exempted from these two first year classes.

Mandy and I were coming out of our economics class when we saw Troy across the courtyard on the first Monday of classes.

"Hey, Troy!" Mandy shouted out and waved towards him.

He lifted his head and turned until he spotted us and jogged over.

"Ladies" he nodded to us. "Where is it that you may be heading to this late Monday morning?" he bent his body to bow in front of us.

Mandy giggled and grabbed his forearm, which he had recently started having a tattoo sleeve done and the first piece of the creation was a skull wearing headphones with musical notes flying up from them. There were red splotches that looked like blood around the headphones that made it look like the ears were bleeding and some of the musical notes had random spots of blood. Even I had to admit that it was hot. Though the tattoo wasn't what really caught my attention. What really caught my attention was the way that Mandy was looking at Troy. It was how her eyes' were shining and Troy was at returning her look but it was more intense, like he wanted to devour her. It was lusty even. I felt myself flush, a little bit embarrassed to bear witness to their open desire for each other.

This was when I realised that I had been living like a mushroom. I was being fed and watered but there was no light in my life. There was a serious lack of proper nourishment in my psychological diet.

"Are you girls going to the cafe' for lunch, I am starving. We had a huge training session this morning." He whooshed out in one breath.

I looked at them both and decided right there that I was going to give them some time, so I responded with, "You know what guys I am going to head to the library and meet you at the house at dinner time."

Mandy gave me puzzled look. "Are you sure?" she questioned. It was probably the first time in eighteen months that I had opted to be alone in a public place.

I took a deep breath. I could do this. I could do this for Mandy and Troy. They had already given up so much for me. They clearly were into each other and I wanted to give them space. I was determined to give them something back for everything they had been doing for me.

So, before Mandy or Troy could say another word I gave Mandy a quick hug, whispered in her ear "I will be fine, have fun" gave Troy a friendly pat on the arm and headed off to the library, by myself for the first time in forever.

"Have fun you two" I said over my shoulder as I walked towards the library.

They both had slightly agitated looks on their faces but they waved and smiled, watching me until I reached the doors of the library. I know because I turned to look and they were still watching. I guess you could say it was like parents watching their child get on the school bus for the first time and they stand there and wave to their little one frantically.

I mustered a huge smile so they could see I was okay and turned back and headed through the double doors of the library.