Angels And Their Angles

Chapter 5

'Will you come with me,
And we'll be ourselves,
And we'll walk into the light,
And you colour yourself,
In golden wings'

Left. Right. Left. Right. Left.

Peter sang the mantra in his head.

Right. Left. Right.

Peter was determined to keep walking without losing composure. Sure, he had been the one to kiss Roman, but it was a surprise to even himself. Kiss. The thought made him stumble a bit and he felt Romans eyes zero in on him from where he followed. They were only a few meters from the door leading into the gym, heading to the other side where Romans belongings where, but already this walk felt miles long. Neither of them had spoken since what had transpired at the door happened, nor had Roman moved at such a sluggish pace until now, and Peter did not know if Romans silence was due to his shock, or to his possible anger. After all, Peter knew nothing about Roman, or vice versa. Roman had never physically said he was interested. Body language is a deceiving thing, but Peter hoped beyond hope that he had read Romans correctly. The way he looked at Peter, the way his body gave off intoxicating pheromones that only Peter could smell, the way he touched Peter without even knowing.

Peter himself had never given much thought to his own sexuality. He found plenty of girls attractive, but the same went for guys, and with as much as he had traveled, he had seen much of both sexes. And both had made advances on him. However, Peter never became attached, never gave in to emotions that would eventually have to be severed. He had always been alone as a child, as a teenager. Though here, with Roman, time felt slower. He didn't care what a town thought of him. He lived in the now, and now he wanted to explore himself, explore Roman, explore these feelings of attraction that were so new and so strong. He only hoped that Roman felt the same.

They had reached the other side of the gymnasium by now. Peter waited by the door of the locker room so Roman, who continued to walk sluggishly, could catch up. He tried looking into Romans eyes and read his expression, but they were quickly diverted. When Roman had finally reached the door, Peter stood off to the side and let him pass through. He smelled of sweat and the forest floor, and of course, blood.

It was now Peter's turn to follow. Peter, however, kept a closer proximity to Roman. They were practically walking shoulder to shoulder, with Peter just a step or two behind. They walked along the rows of lockers until Roman abruptly stopped, and after taking a long look at number 435, he opened it.

"Hmm. No mirror?", Peter asked Roman as he leaned into the locker.

"No", was his only reply.

Peter frowned.

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again", Peter said. At this, Roman showed a hint of hesitation.

"I'm not gay", Roman said, the hesitation still evident. He had gathered his clothes and his belongings into his arms. But he continued to peer into the empty locker.

"Neither am I", Peter replied, but he silently questioned himself.

Several moments passed like that, until finally Peter took Romans cheek in one hand and turned his face towards him. The gesture was soft, and Roman was warm in Peter's hand. Finally, Peter got to look into those green eyes and he could feel once again what Roman couldn't, or wouldn't say.

"I'm sorry", Peter said again. But this time Roman took his hand and placed it over Peter's.

"Just not in public again. Some of us have reputations to maintain", Roman said, and at first Peter felt a little hurt, but then he seen Romans smirk.

Peter returned this jest by pinching his nose and telling Roman to shower. And to Peter's surprise, Roman grabbed Peter's hand and pulled him towards the showers with him. The showers were basically just small cubicles draped with vinyl curtains, barely big enough for one person to fit into, and curious bits of him tingled at the thought of trying to squeeze into one with another person. But surely, that is not something that Roman would do.

"I can wait in the locker room, Roman. I'm not going to disappear on you", Peter said.

"No, you can keep me company", and seeing the look that was on Peter's face he added, "from right here".

Peter stood off to the side of the shower as Roman stepped in and began to undress. He slipped his shirt over his head and tossed it on the floor next to Peter. Peter could not resist the need to dare a look. The curtain came to Romans chest, but Roman was taller, which gave Peter a lesser vantage point than he would have liked. Peter could see his shoulders, pale and lightly muscled. He could trace the veins that went from the skin of his neck to his chest. But too soon were the tendrils of blue on alabaster stone cut off by vinyl curtains. Peter's gazing felt like an eternity, yet the whole time he felt Romans eyes on him.

"Well, you're not shy, are you?", Peter said, more a statement than a question.

"I was on a team. We shower together a lot, but they know to keep their eyes front, unlike some people", Roman replied with a quip.

"Ah. Well the decor in here is a bit bland for my taste. Curtain. Rod. Tile. I prefer to look at something more.... striking!", Peter answered, delicious malice covering his face.

In reply to this, Roman balled up his shorts and threw them at Peter, missing by a few yards.

Peter laughed. "Guess this is why you're on track and not the football team".

"Shut up and grab those, will ya?", Roman said.

Peter assumed that Roman had meant his shorts. He walked to them and bent to pick them up, but as he straightened his face was met with one, and then another sock that had been balled up. He looked up at Roman, and his face, his smile, they were alight.

"You're so hilarious", Peter said as stiff-faced as possible, which proved impossible because Romans smile ignited something within himself.

Peter took his spot back next to the shower, shorts and socks in had, and dropped them next to his shirt. The pile of clothes have off such strong pheromones. The scent was intoxicating, like the feeling he got from running on all fours through the woods and howling at the moon.

Roman had started the shower and was humming quietly. Peter leaned against a wall and closed his eyes, trying to listen to the familiar melody.