Kill Of The Night

Chapter 7

'The danger is I'm dangerous,
And I might just tear you apart'

Pain. Pain was coursing through Peter. His veins seemed to ignite. All of his nerve endings seemed to multiply in sensitivity. He could feel the wind, in all it's calmness, like razors against his skin. He could feel every painstaking step he had taken from Romans car to his house, each step shooting spikes from his feet up through his legs, each step crippling. He could hear the insects churning underground and smell the rot that they left behind.

These feelings, these sensitivities were not unknown to Peter. Every full moon he suffered like this, but not so early, not before midnight.

This wasn't right.

His mother cared for him as best she could, bringing towels dipped in varying soothing liquids, but nothing helped. All she could do was make him comfortable. She sat next to his bed and kept anxiously looking at the clock, counting down the minutes until midnight. Praying that when midnight came, the wolf would emerge and cure her son of whatever peculiar ailment had taken control of him.

Peter's breathing was shallow, and he shook violently despite the warmth he was giving off. Lynda heard the gentle knock on the front door, she was perplexed, and considered ignoring whoever it was, but Peter whispered to her, "Go". She walked through the small house, littered with cigarette butts. She passed several crooked pictures hanging along the walls, all of Peter or her, all that was left of Nicolae's family. Nicolae loved them, he spent his final days with them, he protected them. And in return, Lynda buried him, said the words that everyone else would refuse to say in order to send his soul on, and she kept his secrets.

Peter knew it was no accident that they were here, at Nicolae's house. He knew his mother was searching, but for what, he didn't know. Peter was fragile. His innocence had been stolen the night Nicolae was murdered. And every full moon since, he was transformed into the wolf. The wolf did not care about age or what matter of man you are, the wolf takes the eldest male of the family. And in the case of the Rumanceks, that was Peter after Nicolae's demise. Nicolae had received the wolf after their father died, of natural causes. And Nicolae himself had never had children. He knew Peter would be left with the wolf after he died, which was why he spent so much time teaching him. So many lessons taught under false pretense.

Peter's first night with the wolf was the most difficult. Linda had explained what he would go through, but nothing she could have said would have prepared him. She fed him well, and when the moon began to rise she took him into the woods and left him. Of course, she had never really left, she just had to make him think she had. Lynda sat atop a tree and watched her boy lovingly. He cried. He cried out for her and for Nicolae, but neither of them could help him.

The knocks came again and brought Lynda out of her reverie. She took quick steps to the door and peering through the peep hole, she saw Roman Godfrey. Lynda opened the door for him and he opened his mouth preparing to greet her, but she quickly hushed him, not wanting to arouse Peter.

Roman followed her into the small living room. It was dark and dank and the couches were patched, but Roman didn't seem to mind.

"Can I see Peter?", he asked in a hushed voice.

"Peter is very ill right now. He can hardly stand", Lynda replied.

"I know. I understand. But I have some questions for him. I can't leave without knowing", Romans words were sputters. He seemed nervous.

"What questions, Roman? What do you need to know", Lynda said, offering him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks", he said, and continued, "it's utterly ridiculous. Olivia, my mother-".