Chapter 1 (Part 2): Baby at My Doorstep

Landon's POV:

I came home from work at the hospital later than usual tonight. It's not like it mattered though.There's no one for me to come home to. All I have to do is sign the divorce papers, take them in tomorrow, and then it's done. She'll be out of my life. Just like my first love. Jamie might not be where I can see her, but she'll always be a big part of my my life. If only I'd have known when I first met her, I would love her. Damn, I shouldn't have been so cruel to her when I was. I reached over by the lamp and grabbed the greatest gift I have ever gotten. Jamie's bible.

I started looking through it, flipping through the pages that still smelled like her. God, I miss her so much. She was an amazing person and she had to go and get taken down by fucking cancer. I think about her all the time, but it was really hitting me hard right now. My memories of our first encounter took me back.

~~flashback, 1986 ~~

A 6 year old girl walks into school with her head down, reading a bible, when she bumps into a boy and drops it.

Landon: "Hey, watch where you're going you stupid girl!"

Jamie: (picking up her Bible) "I'm sorry for bumping into you. I didn't mean it. You know, though, you don't have to be so mean. God is always watching. It might not seem like it, but He is not pleased with your sin."

Landon: "Oh, yeah, that's rich," (laughter) "so, do you think you're God's little helper or something? You think you're something of an expert, don't ya?"

Jamie: "Actually, I don't. I just try to practice the way if life he has chosen for me in the best way possible."

Landon: (confused silence) "Oh. What's that thing you've got there?"

Jamie: (shows Landon the book) "It's a Bible. It used to belong to my mother."

*Young Landon is getting easily bored and tries to get away, makes up a fake school bell*

(bell noise)

Landon: "Well, I gotta go. Take your stupid book with you!" (starts to run away)

Jamie: "Wait! What's your name?"

Landon: "Landon! Now leave me alone before I catch your gross nerd cooties!"

Jamie: "I'm Jamie."

(stares from Landon who runs off)

"Well, nice to meet you!"

*flashback ends*

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my apartment door. I though I heard footsteps, but I didn't see anyone. Except for a baby girl in a basket, with a note that read:

"She's yours, L."