pressurized

"why? why do we bother to fall in love
when we know everything that falls will
break eventually?"

out of all of the friendships existing in this current universe, there is none like ours. riley and i have known each other since kindergarden and til now, we'd never let anything or anyone get in the way of that.

-it was always riley and i,
against the world

always will.
(i hope)

//

(maya's pov)

it was just another ordinary day at school, and we were through with our last period. thankfully it was art, it was a great way to end the week. and not to mention it's one class aside from language and history that all of us have together.

all six of us,

i took my regular seat next to my sweet other half, riley matthews. as i painted the city park, i placed a bench on the corner left of my canvas. the bench where it all began. i'll never regret that day in the park where i met riley; she was my very first friend in a long time.

across from me, on the other side of the class was farkle, zay and smackle.

and on my right, sat there lucas friar. god, who knows how long i've put my feelings aside, i've always liked lucas. but what i didnt know that day on the subway was that i'd eventually like 'like' him. but he doesn't need to know how i feel anymore, he's happy with riley and riley is happy with lucas.

and as their best friend, i should be too.

we've kind of settled everything since texas, then the incident on new years, then the ski lodge. i sent him off to riley because i've honestly really had enough of being in a triangle and making us wait, i chose for him. i always believed that i got lucky that time because i thought i might have a chance at being happy. god was i wrong, all it did was tear me apart & what good does it do if you're happy but the people around you aren't? i get he did like me and riley. but she will always be his first priority and i wouldn't want riley to be miserable knowing that her first love had doubts choosing her over her best friend. i'm just as happy being one of his friends and i wouldn't change that for the world.

"is that a tree? huh you're actually getting better at this" i taunted him, looking over my painting as i stopped what ever i was doing.

"okay hart, i get it you're the artist here" he said almost close to a whisper, sneaking in a chuckle right after.

hearing his laugh, made me smile a bit. i couldn't show that to him so i bit my lip in hopes he wouldn't notice.

"lucas, i think that's a great tree" riley chimes in, glancing across my shoulders onto his painting.

of course, she had to say something.

"riles, i think we're supposed to paint our preception of the things we can find deep in our hearts not purple cats" lucas said as he furrowed his brows.

"hey- only i get to call her riles ranger rick, and please her purple cats can easily beat your embarrassment of a tree" i replied back obviously as maya, i'd tease him everynow and then.

i love this little game we play.

"thank you maya, i appreciate it"
"see lucas, even the artist here likes my purple cats" riley added before i smiled a bit and putting my hand on her shoulder reassuringly.

"okay hart, let's see your painting"

"you sure 'bout that friar? hm you might just i dont know, maybe, sort-of regret what ever you're getting yourself into." i replied a small smirk plastered on my face.

"show me what you got" i raised my right brow looking at him to see if he was serious. was he? apparently so, i finished a small detail on the bright blue sky and turned my canvas towards lucas's direction.

i then plopped out my head so that i could see his reaction. "well now i just feel stupid" he gave out a small laugh as i turned my painting and placed it back on the stand.

"you shouldn't have done it bro" zay practically shouted because he was on the other side of the room.

"see he's just a face" farkle yelled his words and i almost let out a laugh but turned it into a grin instead.

"oh shutup" i could tell lucas was embarrassed and honestly imagine him mentally face palming himself multiple times right now. so i looked at him with a sly smirk as he glanced back at me, revealing his pearly white smile. "told you".

he laughed a bit and the bell finally rang.
here's to the weekend.

i stood up and got my things ready. just as i placed a strand of hair behind my ear, i felt a tap on my shoulder.

i turned around and i didn't seem to spot anyone, the only ones behind me were lucas and zay. i was about to ask them if they saw anyone tapping my shoulder eariler, but they look way too busy in their own conversation anyway.

i snapped out of my thoughts as my favorite perky ball of sunshine called for me.

"peaches, you're coming over right?"

"of course honey, why wouldn't i?"

i grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulders as i walk out hand in hand with riley.

lucas's pov:

the last bell finally rang and it was time for us to go home. as we were dismissed, i felt like now was a good time to actually tell maya how i still feel about her.

first things first; riley matthews is my girlfriend, and i couldn't be anymore grateful but it just pains me to know that i'm keeping what i really feel as a secret.

especially to the people i care about the most.

i used to be so crazy about riley, and since texas, i noticed that i've been getting closer to maya.

way too close.

maybe it's because we've all grown and changed and maybe i only felt that way in the beginning because i was too young to understand what it truly meant to love and to be in love.

i've always felt a special connection between maya and i, it's utterly different than what i have with riley.

the things she said to me in texas, the things i've realized about my feelings and why she sent me off to riley.

i pulled my shit together and lightly tapped on maya's shoulders. before anything else, zay came up to me and managed to get me distracted because right after then, i realized we were the only two left.

i decide to let it slide for now, i mean i am happy with riley. even though i do have some unanswered questions 'til now.

but that can wait.

riley's my source of happiness and i am just as happy.

right?

authors notee::
*scoffs* sure you do lucas, okay so anyways this is actually my first ever story so i apologize in advance for any spelling or grammar errors. reading back i realized this is a horrible chapter and don't worry i promise i will get better and better through chapter and chapter. this is also incredibly short, so i apologize for that too. it'll get better dont worry guys!

next update coming ssoon!
x