our little game

"do you think the universe
fights for souls to be together?"

maya's pov:

it was monday, great, another week i have to get through. i didn't get enough sleep last night so i decided to sleep in matthews' class.

not like it mattered, riley told me he hasn't been feeling well since last night and so we had a free period.

and unfortunately, riley had to stay home and take care of matthews while topanga had to be gone for work.

and so was farkle, he wasn't here either. but instead, he had an important matter to discuss with his science teacher along with other straight a students. it was most likely about the upcoming science fair in a few months, but that didn't interest me.

i was peacefully sleeping until i felt a poke on my shoulder, but i decided to ignore it and go back to sleep. i felt another poke on my shoulder, and again. i was frustrated so i turned back.

"i swear cut it out!" i shouted loud enough and turned my head around so that whoever was disturbing me would get that i was clearly annoyed.

"well jeez maya"

i froze as my ocean blue eyes gazed into his hazel green orbs. how lovely, now i know the person disturbing my sleep and putting me in misery was none other than lucas friar. i silently laughed at myself.

"what do you want texas pete?" i scoffed sounding irritated with a slight smile on my face.

he chuckled at the tiny scoff i made, "seriously maya? have you really came up with a new nickname for me?"

"get used to it heehaw" i rolled my eyes letting out a small laugh

"well it's good to know those old ones didn't die just yet" he winked at me.

perfect timing, the bell just rang.

"hey do you know where riley is?" my heart stopped, of course he had to be looking for riley

i turned my heel around and faced him, "aww does the little cowboy miss his princess"  cooing at his face trying to imitate his accent.

"if you're jealous maya, just say so" he mimicked me tipping his imaginary cowboy hat as his face got closer to mine.

as we were inches apart i smugly said "in your dreams jackass"

"but i'm your jackass" as he said those words i, in an instant, mentally drained myself even though i still had a smile still plastered across my face. it was a habit i picked up easily, and i'm used to it. you know, playing the part. faking a smile to hide a frown. but i try not to take it the wrong way, it could've been a slip up. not that it mattered to him anyways.

i chuckled, "of course you are"

he grinned back.

perfect timing, the school bell rang again as i grabbed my bag and headed out the door. today we only had half a day since our principal was planning on having the gas pipes fixed during our lunch hours til the end of school day.