Chapter 8- $$$$$

Once Unique was out of the clear and moved to the Intensive Care Unit, Kennard’s parents visited with her. Plus, Detectives Jones and McGeary returned. They wanted to talk to Unique but Kennard stopped them in their tracks. “Look, she just woke up. Let her recover.” He tried to be diplomatic.
     Tyeedah spoke up. “Look, the bottom line is take that shit to the streets. She can’t tell you nothing, ’cause she still trying to figure out where the hell she is at and who is the damn president.”
      “Well, miss, we have a job to do and she will need to talk to us now,” Detective Jones said.
     “Give me your card and I will make sure that she calls you when she is feeling up to it,” Tyeedah countered.
      Kennard quietly watched as Tyeedah dealt with the police officers.
    He listened to Tyeedah and admired the fact that she was really down for Unique. Kennard’s daddy used to tell him that there were two types of friends: fair-weather and true. “When things got cloudy the difference would start to surface,” his daddy would say, “and when the sky opened, pouring out an all-shit storm and there was only room for one under the umbrella, the one standing there beside you with shit on their face is a true friend.”
      Kennard could tell that Tyeedah was the type that would stand there with feces covering her face.
    “Miss, I know this is a critical time right now,” Detective Jones said, although it didn’t stop him from his line of questioning, “but do you know anybody who might have wanted to hurt Ms. Bryant?”
     Tyeedah paused for a second, ready to cuss him out, but Ms. Katie, Kennard’s mother answered instead, in her loving, concerned motherly voice. “That girl was a godsend to my son. She didn’t bother a soul and wouldn’t want to even hurt a fly.”
     “So maybe this was random?” Bernard, Kennard’s father chimed in.
     “Oh, I’m not sure about that, because it looks like a crime of passion,” Detective McGeary said.
    Detective Jones pulled Tyeedah to the side out of earshot of Ms. Katie and her sanctified friend, but Kennard could still hear. “Was she carrying on an affair with anybody?”
     “Are you serious?” Tyeedah asked, then answered, “No, she was devoted to that man, and they are both madly in love. That’s it, that’s all.”
     “So, you don’t know anyone who would want to hurt her?”
     “Man, what the hell did I tell you already? You fishing in the wrong pond here.”
     That’s what Tyeedah said to the police officer but she knew different and Kennard was going to get to the bottom of it.