Hey Bulldog

Nico sighed, staring intently at the Mathematics book. There where only so many things you could do whilst stuck in the infirmary, and Nico had done his share already. He looked at his clock, and then back to the book. The words just weren't entering his brain, the sentences didn't register. He snapped the book shut, and massaged his temples, frowning at nothing in particular.

He sat back against the ratty headboard, staring at the bunk in front of him. All he could see was the feet of the camper, poking up from under the blankets. Nico buried his nose in his coat, pulling his knees up to his chest. He supposed it was rude not to take his military boots off, but since when did he care?

Still, something inside him ached a little, made him feel guilty for being distant to these kind campers. He thought of kind Kayla, and her braided ginger hair. He thought of Austin, who occasionally played his sax to lighten up the infirmary. Nico thought about the younger children of Apollo, how they bustled about, sporty and free in the summer. How could he be distant to these people? This was his last night in the infirmary, something was turning in his stomach.

He wondered distantly if they would let him help one last time in the infirmary before he was discharged, and maybe another time after that, and maybe another one after that...Would they change their attitude if they knew they wouldn't have to take care of him anymore? Nico began to untie his shoelaces, forming a new moral for himself,

If they wanted him gone, if they were going to change their attitude, he'd have to give them a reason to like him. Because for some strange reason, helping these demigods filled him up a little, if at all. It made him feel useful, albeit less annoying. But useful all the same. But despite all this time filling and positive thinking, something deep inside Nico told him that he couldn't convince them to let him stick around and help.

Something inside him reminded the son of Hades, that no child of the god of Healing could ever actually want him in their infirmary. That no matter how hard he tried, he was just good for nothing. Perhaps he should try for his own sake, rather than the mis-guided hope that campers could grow to care about him.