Chapter 13: Whiteheart

Sanctuary of Sorrow

The place was named the Sanctuary of Sorrow. It was dark. It was damp. The ladder extended twenty feet deep into the ground. Droplets raced to the bottom, and the flickering torchlight was the only source of human presence. The boss found this place from a quest and decided to adopt it for his own. With the help of the «Excavating» skill, used by miners and some smiths, the earth and rock was easily cleared from the original structure. Initially, the place only had three sections, one place for the gathering of the NPC crooks, one place where they slept, and one place where they kept their weapons. 

In terms of fanciness, there was none. After all, this was floor one. The game developers did, however, have an alcove tucked between the quarters and armory, decked with religious artifacts from some obscure in-game deity.

Currently, there was an extended living space filled with beds. The beds totalled twelve, including the three man team returning from their doomed adventure. The boss slept closest to the door with wooden boards walling off his room. The rest of the place was separated in half; males on the left, females on the right. 

Normally a leader would have his own room split from the rest of the riffraff. But this one thought it was best for morale. To him, it was a noble act and justified every good thing done in his name, usually marked by the words: "This is all for the group."

To Tiek, it was arrogant at best, especially the way the man held himself.

A kitchen lay a dozen yards from the sleeping area and had the basic tools: a stove, sink, and cupboards. There the cook made food that wafted throughout the compound. Across the ways, next to the locked armory, was the detention cell. The place held bare living conditions for the kids that the nefarious group managed to "recruit."

Of course, the room was located furthest from the entrance. It was barred at all moments and only with watchful eyes were the kids allowed out.

Luckily, Tiek wasn't going to have anything to do with that room.

He grabbed the torch and walked quickly, eager to get dry. The tunnel snaked left and right, magnifying the sound of his footsteps. After thirty yards, wooden double doors reinforced with metal sheets and rivets blocked the path. Traps from the quest were now gone, and the first checkpoint was set up. Tiek knocked on the doors, and a tab slid right to reveal brown eyes.

"Identify yourself," a gruff voice said. Tiek knew who it was from the overly deep tone. Crinx loved disguising her voice, and she was very good at it. She was the best imitator of the team and could mimic any sound she heard. It came handy in their line of work.

"Tiek," the ex-hammer-user replied. He stepped back so she could fully see him. "Let me in. I'm soaked."

"Alright. Don't get any on the new carpets. The boss will flip."

"Yeah yeah." Allowed entrance, Tiek rove his eyes over Crinx's armor clad body. She was quite a looker with those hips. An orange cursor winked merrily above her head.

"What'd you do?" he asked, pointing to the indicator.

"One of those brats yanked on my hair," she said nonchalantly. "I gave him a sound beating."

The way she said it made Tiek shiver. He blamed it on the rain but the satisfied smile on Crinx's face made him pause. Who was she in real life? Probably someone with a horrible background of domestic abuse. Why else would she be so quick to strike back?

Throwing off his uneasiness, his eyes gazed at her whole body; not just those curvaceous hips. "Can't blame the kid," he replied.

"Get moving bozo," Crinx shot back. She rolled her eyes and leaned against the mud walls. The tunnel was wide enough for two people standing shoulder-to-shoulder. Effective in defense, it wasn't so great with ogling men. "Go flirt with that maid."