Chapter 20 | Can't Keep Lying

'And I can't keep lying' - The End

[Perrie's POV]

I look up at the clock and see that Emily will be here in five minutes, and then quickly look back down at the Grimoire. I read over the page that the Truth Spell is on.

The Truth Spell only lasts for 24 hours and cannot be reversed before this time. Whoever you ask a question to will have have no other choice but to tell the truth. The only way to get around this is if you are already telling the truth, even if you are concealing something, but no lie will be able to leave your mouth. The spell will affect everyone who is in and around the room that it is cast in.

As I read the last line, I immediately get up and close my door so my mum and brother know not to come into my room. I then sit behind the Grimoire and begin to read the spell.

'Every sentence, every word,
Will be spoken and be heard,
No lie spoken, no lie said,
No lie will be misread.'

Suddenly my bedroom door opens and Emily walks in. I quickly throw my jumper over the Grimoire before she can see it, and to my luck she doesn't notice.

"You're early." I say in surprise. She shrugs.

"And that's a problem?" She asks. "You're always complaining that I'm late, so I thought I would be early for once." I roll my eyes at her words. She had to be early the one day I didn't need her to be.

"It's not a problem. I was just surprised." I tell her as I slide off of my bed. I look to the Grimoire under my jacket and then back to Emily standing in the doorway. Somehow I have to hide the Grimoire in my bag without Emily noticing.

"I'm just going to go to the toilet." I say to Emily. "You can wait downstairs if you want."

"This is why I'm always late." Emily says as she starts to walk out of my room. "You're never ready on time anyway." When I hear her steps going down the stairs, I quickly uncover the Grimoire and shove it into my bag. I grab my jacket and bag and make my way to the toilet. I don't want her to think I'm hiding something, so I quickly pull the toilet flush, wash my hands and rush downstairs. Emily is waiting at the bottom of the stairs, chatting to my brother, Jonnie.

"I'm ready." I say as I walk past the both of them and towards the front door. Emily says a quick goodbye to my brother, and I shout out 'bye' to my mum. I then rush out of the house, trying to avoid any interaction with my family. I don't want to use any spells on them, unless I absolutely have to.

"You were in a hurry." Emily saying, noticing how hasty I was to get out the door.

"Was I?" I ask. Emily nods her head but doesn't say no more about it. We both climb into Emily's car and drive off to school.

For most of the car journey I stay silent, not wanting to accidentally use the spell on Emily. I know I'm going have to speak to her eventually, and in the process probably use the spell on her, but for now I can't help but not want to speak. I feel nervous about accidentally finding something out that I'm not supposed to.

"Pez, are you OK?" Emily suddenly asks. I look at her in surprise.

"A little nervous." I immediately tell her. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I wasn't meant to say that. I was meant to tell her that I'm fine. Why am I telling her the truth?