XXIII. The Plan

"Guys, I'm nervous," Alex whined, wiggling in his seat.

"Dude, we just got to the party.  We're not even in there yet, relax," Rian said, punching Alex's shoulder.

I finished overlooking my make up in the mirror before closing it and looking over at Jack.  "Ready?"  I asked.

"We were waiting on you," he teased, popping open the car door, the rest of us following suit.  Jack walked around the car and grabbed a hold of my hand; this was our first time attending a party as an official couple.

"Come on, Alex, hurry up," Jack said, walking towards the usual party house.

"I'm coming..." he murmured behind us, catching up and walking on my side to avoid getting another lecture from Rian about how to handle Aleah.

"Okay, so what's the rules?" I asked.  Alex let out a groan, not realizing I would be also lecturing him.

"No drinking until after we leave at my house so I'm completely sober when I'm talking to her.  No touching of any kind: since that is a sign of flirting.  If she reaches out to me I should move out of the way to avoid the touch.  If she starts crying I need to remembering all the bad things she's done to me and what I'm doing is for the better..." Alex trailed off, trying to think of the last rule.  "Oh, and never to leave you guys and be alone with her."

"Good boy," I said, reaching up with my free hand to rub his head but since I was too short to reach I just ended up patting his shoulder.  "And don't be so nervous, remember: she might not even be here tonight."

"And if that's the case, we'll only stay for about an hour to make sure she doesn't come and then we'll head back to your place to drink.  We don't want to risk you being drunk and then running into her because you'll probably sleep with her again." Rian rolled his eyes.

"I can't help it, I'm an affectionate drunk." Alex shrugged his shoulders.

We walked right in through the front door, not bothering to knock.  The house was already crammed with a bunch of people, plus with the music blasting no one would be able to hear the doorbell.

"Come on, guys," Jack said, leading us through the people and through the back door.  This was the house where I attended my first party; the one where I met Jack.  And Jack led us to the same place where I first met the guys.  He leaned back against the porch railing, still holding onto my hand.

"If we were just going to go back here, why did we have to walk through the house? We could've just made our way through the back..." Alex grumbled, fixing his hair which someone obviously messed up while he was walking through the crowd.

"To make our presence known," Rian explained.

"What? You sound like a freaking knight or something," Alex said, finally settling with his hair.

"He means, by walking through there more people saw us, so people now know we're at the party.  And if Aleah was there, she would also know you're here," I added. 

"Now what?" Alex asked, starting to chew on one of his fingernails.

"Now, we wait." Jack shrugged and went to go sit down on one of the outside chairs, dragging me with him.

"Oh, God, I need a drink," Alex mumbled, walking over and taking the spot I was about to sit in.

"Alex," I whined.

"What?" He asked, looking up at me.

I gestured to the seat.  "You took my spot," I pouted, sticking out my bottom lip.