Chapter 4 ~ Wanna dance?

CHAPTER 4

     I almost choked on my coke. Or I would have been if I didn't have a dad who, for the past three years, had thrown random shit at me at bad times in hopes that I wouldn't freeze up in situations like this. It helped. Barley.  

     "What are you talking about? Why would I be looking for someone?" I asked in the strongest and most bored voice I could muster. Not too bad. The idiot was smirking at me.

     "Well correct me if I'm wrong, but you looked pretty distracted when you walked in, kinda like you were mentally scanning everyone. Then after you arrived, you spent a good two hours making rounds. Tell me love, do you usually walk around a room 12 times?"

    Oh shit. Now what do I say? Deciding it was better if I went on the offense, I gave him my best glare and laced as much irritation in my voice as I could when I replied. "So what? You've been stalking me since I got here?"   

    "Not really since you got here... More like after you ran into me." His tone was serious, but I could see a glint of laughter in his eyes. He was playing with  me. Well, I decided, two can play this game. Gathering up all my flirting skills, which to be honest wasn't that much since my dad hadn't allowed me to have a boyfriend until college and by then I was too busy trying to figure out Mr. Gold's identity to bother with such things, I gave the idiot a sugary smile.

     "Oh that poor guy was you? I must have forgotten what you looked like. My bad." My words wiped his smartass smile off his face, making mine grow in the process. Oh this was fun. But I could only bask in my victory for a few moments, because the next thing I know, he was grinning again. Oh no. He wasn't giving up was he?     

     "Well," he drawled, "It's so hard to forget a lady as memorable as yourself. Especially when her face is such a lovely shade of red." My face was burning. I almost wanted to tell him that this "lovely" face that he was going on and on about was just a mask. An illusion to protect me from being recognized as the daughter of the head officer of the agency and the hero who gave up her life to save the life of the president. That would have wiped the grin off his smug little face. I was trying to come up with a witty comeback, but my mind was blank. Why couldn't I be like my friend Veronica who could spit out fire without a second thought?

     "Jay! There you are!" Chloe's voice cut through the music. She was weaving her way through the group of guests standing a few feet away from us. She was clasping Mr. Cuties hand. Her eyes were shining and her face seemed a little flushed. Had they been dancing? "I can't believe you're still here !" she gushed as soon as she reached my side. Huh? Where else would I go? She gave Greenie- my nickname I gave him in head since I still didn't know my idiot of a companion's name-a nod of greeting before turning towards me again. But before I could question her, she faced Greenie again. "You must be keeping her really busy! I've never seen anyone keep Jay from the dance floor for so long!" WHAT?!

     "Wait what? No I don't-" I tried to argue but, Chloe interrupted my shocked argument, ignored me in general.

     "I've been waiting for her on the dance floor for the past twenty minutes. I think she deserves some dancing time don't you?" Her voice was light and breezy, but her eyes had a scheming glint to them. Was she trying to pull me away from this guy? The thought made my stomach twist in a knot of dreed. Wait what was I saying? I didn't want to talk to this smug frat boy. I should be happy, not upset!

     "Of course, how awful of me," Greenie responded to Chloe's accusations. They stared at each other for a second, making me uncomfortable. Apparently reaching a conclusion from their silent exchange, Greenie gave Chloe a slight nod before turning towards me. He gave me a hundred watt smile, before offering me his hand. "M'lady, would you give this humble chap the honor of a dance?"