Epilogue (eng)

"Matti!"

I shout, relieved when we finally find him. I swear, I'm buying a child leash the next time we bring him along to Simbang Gabi. It's only the first night and I'm about to have a heart attack.

"Mama! Tita Ninang!"

He cries as soon as he reaches us. As much as I want to scold him for leaving our sight, his crying face erased whatever litany I was about to spout.

"Matti, anak, where have you been? Did something happen to you? Are you hurt?" My sister frantically checks up on her son, looking for scratches or bruises. Thankfully, there was none. Looks like his tears are tears of relief.

"Oh, where's the baseball cap I placed on your head to keep you from getting cold? The one with the letter D?" I ask my precocious nephew.

"I gave it to the kuya who was with me earlier."

"Which kuya?" I ask, scanning the crowd, trying to find my lucky cap.

"Kuya Crybaby. He helped me up when I fell down."

"Where is he?"

"He was there but not anymore."

"Dei, don't mind you cap. I'll just replace it. The important thing right now is Matti's safe." My sister turns to her son. "Anak, don't do that again, okay? Mama and Tita Ninang got so scared earlier. You're a good boy, right? Don't stray away from us again, okay?" Matti nods and gives his mom a hug and a wet kiss.

I smile as I watch the sweet moment between my sister and my nephew. She's right. No matter how fond I was of my lucky baseball cap, Matti's safety was what's important. Besides, I'm sure I'll find it again. I don't call it my lucky cap for nothing.

And who knows? Maybe this Kuya Cry Baby could be the answer to my Simbang Gabi wish.