Chapter 6

Song of the chapter ~ F*** Apologies. By Jo Jo Ft. Wiz Khalifa

My hair drips water all down the back of my shirt as I make my way towards the door. Whoever's been knocking on the door for the past five minutes is extremely persistent. They knock again, this time even louder than before. "I'm coming, hang on!" I pick up the pace and nearly run over to the door. I pull it open to see Josh on the other side of the door. "What the hell are you doing here?" I ask, glaring at him. "I came to talk to you." He looks like he's been crying. "I don't wanna talk." I almost hesitate before slamming the door in his face.

He stops the door with his hand just before it closes and pushes it back open a few inches so it's not smashing his hand. "Please, Jen. Just listen." He pleads, before I can react, He opens the door the rest of the way and looks at me, waiting for my response. "How the hell did you even find me?" I didn't tell him where I was staying and I know Ben didn't either. "I asked around. It's not important. What's important is that you told me you were pregnant, which should've been one of the happiest moments of both of our lives and I just left you hanging and that was horrible and I'm an asshole." He takes a step closer to me, but still doesn't cross over the doorway. "Yeah you are." I reply, not even looking at him. "But I'm here now and I wanna apologize so can you just let me in?" I don't say anything, so he takes my silence as a yes and walks inside. "You said you wanted to talk. So, talk." I cross my arms over my chest. "Okay. So, I guess first I just wanted to apologize. I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry. I fucked up. I fucked up really bad. I should've never even broken up with you in the first place." He apologizes. "Is that all?" I ask. "How've you been? I tried.....I tried to call you so many times but you never answered. I guess you probably changed your number. I saw you moved out of your old place. You've been staying with Ben, right? Or someplace else?" I stare at the floor, trying to decide what to say to him. "I've been awful, not that it matters. I'm staying with my parents. Ben and I just came out here for a visit which I'm really regretting right now." I say. "Your parents?" He mumbles, to himself I think. "Yeah." I confirm, glancing towards the door. Ben left almost half an hour ago, he's got to be getting back soon. "Oh, Jen. I'm sorry. They must be angry with you, or with me mostly, I guess. I should probably apologize to them as well. God, I feel like such an asshole right now." Most of his words slur together and as he takes a step closer to me I get a whiff of the alcohol on his breath. "You're drunk. That's great." I roll my eyes. "No, I'm not! I really do feel bad, I swear!" He argues. "Josh, I can smell the alcohol on your breath." I state, annoyed by his denial. "You're a shitty liar." He looks guilty now. "Okay, fine. You caught me. I had a few drinks, but that's not why I'm here." He says. "You expect me to believe that?" I can't believe him, not about anything. He's lost all my trust. "Yes!" I'm about to go off on him when the door opens.

Ben walks in, carrying a McDonalds bag in one hand. "What's going on here?" He asks, setting the bag down. "Jen?" I continue to stare down Josh. "Nothing. Josh was just leaving." I say, hoping Josh will take the hint and leave. He doesn't. "No I wasn't. I came to talk to Jen, apologize actually. I'd like to apologize to you as well, Ben. For everything I've put your family through. I promise none of it was intentional and I'm trying to make up for it now." Josh looks to Ben, then back over to me. "Jen, When you're ready to leave for Kentucky I'll come back with you and we can talk about this more. I know if you give me a chance I can fix all of this." He pleads, his eyes staring into mine. "No you won't! I don't want you there!" I don't care how sorry he says he is, nothing can fix what he's broken. Nothing he can do will ever make me trust him again. "Try to stop me. It's my baby too, Jennifer." He steps towards me and I feel Ben step beside me, ready to throw Josh out the second I tell him to. "What about Claudia?" I ask. "Who cares about Claudia? I need to be in Kentucky with you." He argues, his voice rising again. "And you'd just leave her like that?" I look into his eyes, but I don't know what I see there. "Yes. If it means I can have a chance at making things right with you then yes. I'd leave her and everything else behind in a heartbeat." His words make my cold heart thaw just slightly, but I don't let that sway me. "I don't believe you." I say. "I don't care what you believe!" He steps even closer to me, until he's only an arms length away. "You need to back up, now." I command, pushing him away. "Jen." His voice softens to a whisper and he reaches out and grabs my wrist. "Don't touch her!" Ben pulls his hand off me and shoves him back. "I think it's time for you to leave." He pauses, waiting for me to change my mind. "Now, Josh!" I yell, making my voice crack, as tears spring into my eyes. He walks out the door and stops, glancing at me one more time, then he leaves. Ben slams the door behind him and locks it. Then he rushes over to me, trying to comfort me, but I push him away. "I'm fine. I just need to go lay down." He nods and I lay down on the bed. I lay on my side and stare at the curtain covered window. All I can think of is Josh's face as he left. He looked like he truly meant everything he said, but how would I know. He's lied to me plenty of times and I believed it. I believed him when he said he loved me, right up until he broke my heart. I can't trust a word that comes out of his mouth and I definitely can't trust his face to give him away, after all we are actors, and looks can be deceiving.