Chapter 7: Trustworthy

Disclaimer: I do not own Pokemon. Pokemon belongs to GameFreak, etc.

I'm not sure if the reactions I got to the twist in the previous chapter were positive or negative... either way, I'm continuing as I am. NO REGRETS!

"Cynthia? Why? I thought we were friends! All of us!"

"Ash, my dear boy, don't fret. This is only temporary. Once Lysandre has restarted this world, we will be friends. Trust me on this one."

"What made you do this, Cynthia? Why would you betray our trust in you? The whole of Sinnoh's trust in you?" Diantha questioned.

"Lysandre promised me eternal beauty, if I worked with him for a while."

"You don't understand! When he destroys this world, you're going down with it! This is only going to work out for him, not you!" Ash shouted at his former friend.

"His offer was too tempting. He's made me more confident."

"Really? Just because he made you stronger?"

"I've never been more powerful. I feel complete."

"Don't you know what they say about power? Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If this is what has happened to the Cynthia I called my friend for the past ten years of my life, I regret that." Diantha wept.

Cynthia flinched. It was true. She and Diantha had been friends for a long time, since the end of their childhood, when they met at a Champions' meeting in Johto.

"You know, Cynthia. I met Lysandre years ago. Before I found out about his true intentions. He gave me the same offer as he gave to you. If I worked with him, I'd be forever beautiful, young, elegant - but I knew that was impossible. I turned him down. Why did you let him get into your head?" Diantha screamed.

"Diantha, it pains me to see you like this. Join me. We can be together, friends, like we were before all of this. We can be lively, for years to come."

"No! I will never join you! Not in your eternal life!" Diantha yelled furiously.

"Oh well. I tried. Ash, might I convince you? You know this means infinite years of travelling with your Pokemon."

"Cynthia, please listen. There will be a point in life, when you have done everything you can, everything you've ever wanted. When I'm still young, Pikachu will be gone. Noctowl, Bayleef, Kingler. They'll all have passed, while I'm still here doing nothing that I'd consider fun. Even if I took you up on this offer, Lysandre's instincts would tell him to eliminate me anyway."

"Whatever you say. Glaceon, battle dance!"

"You still don't believe us! Infernape! Go!"

"You will regret this, Cynthia! Aurorus, come out!"

"Glaceon, use Ice Beam on Infernape!"

"Aurorus, counter it with your Thunder!"

"Infernape, use Mach Punch!"

As Ice Beam was deflected by Thunder, Infernape charged in, its fist glowing. It struck Glaceon in the abdomen. Glaceon skidded back in pain.

"Well, well, the fun's just beginning. Gastrodon! Help out Glaceon!"

A pink-bellied Gastrodon came out of the Pokeball. It landed heavily on the floor, awaiting Cynthia's order.

"Earthquake from you, Gastrodon, and another Ice Beam, Glaceon!"

Gastrodon jumped up into the air and slammed back down, creating tremors which shook towards Infernape and Aurorus.

"Dodge it, Infernape!"