Chapter 16

Ariels POV:

His tone of voice doesn't set quite right with me, my mind seems as if it's bouncing off the walls with explanations of what he could want to talk about.

"Calm down Ariel." my mind tries to settle me but I can't seem to agree with it.

What if he found out about Harry and I. That couldn't be though, we've never led off any clues. Although, Harry could've told one of his buddies about us going behind Niall's back, but he doesn't seem like the person who would do that to someone they care about.

"About what?" I hesitantly answer him, secretly trying to ease my mind, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I hear him sigh as he looks down at his hands, twiddling his thumbs as he rolls his neck.

"Niall." I somewhat push, I'm starting to get anxious upon his reply.

"Do you love me?" his eyes rush up to meet mine and I'm taken back by his question.

"Of course, I tell you everyday." I simply reply, trying not to let my mind get the best of me as I fight it, pushing away any bad thoughts that come to mind as to what he possibly could say next.

"I feel as if we've gotten.. distant." his eyes meet his hands once more, fumbling around with one another.

"What do you mean?" my whole body shakes but I don't dare let it show in my voice.

"Ariel," he hesitantly speaks, his gaze rarely meeting mine. Why is he so nervous, I'm the one who should be nervous, shouldn't I? "I've been drinking." he bluntly states and I can feel my breath hitch. My hand covers my mouth slowly as I can't seem to find the words to reply to his confession.

We sit there in silence for a moment or two, for what seems like forever. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the image of Niall going out to drink. For all I know he could be drinking all the time, getting wasted, whatever. But, he's never come home drunk, for all I know.

"I-I'm sorry." Niall finally breaks the silence as he stutters.

His eyes drag across my body, trying to find what my mind is on, what I'm thinking.

"Why?" is all I seem to want to know right now.

Who am I kidding, I want to know way more than just why. There's so much more to the whole scenario then just why.

"I don't know, honestly." he shrugs once more. His eyes look heavy, dark circles around the bottom of his eyes.

"How long?" I push, hoping to get something more out of him then just an I don't know.

"For a week or two, when I said I was going out with the boys to write or meet up at the studio." Niall sighs, for a moment I find myself wanting to stand up and walk to the bedroom, maybe cry into my pillow, but I know he would follow me. There's no point in running and hiding from the situation.

"So, you lied to me?" I nod my head, looking towards the window outside, I can feel the giant lump in my throat threatening to make me sob, but I refuse to break in front of him.

"Yes." out of the corner of my eye, I can see him rub the back of his neck with his hand, quickly dragging both hands into his hair and tugging at it.

"What the hell." the only words that register in my mind right now, the only words that really describe my emotion towards him.

"Ariel, I didn't mean-"

"You didn't mean to? Cut the bullshit." I snap, still not bothering to look at him. I know if I do, I'll break down into a pile of never ending tears.