Chapter 18

I stare at the tear stained face in front of me as I try to pull myself together and find some words to spit out, but nothing is coming together as he looks at me in the most shocked and disgusted look that he's ever given to me.

"Ariel, answer me." his harsh voice snaps me out of my thoughts and I can't seem to process anything. "Why would you do this to me?" his voice rattles through my brain, and I feel as if I'm searching every file in my brain to form the right sentence.

"Niall, come on." Harry interrupts and Niall shoots him a glare.

"Shut it." Niall responds, his voice as cold as ice. Harry's eyes meet the ground, his feet shift underneath him as he doesn't know how to respond. "Ariel, I love you? How could you- I don't understand how- but why?" he seems to be fighting for the right words just like I am.

"I don't know, Niall." the only words that come to mind, and I regret them as they slip.

"You don't know? You don't know? If you didn't know, then why in the hell did you do it? Why did you kiss my best friend, you c-cheated on me, and for all I know, this couldn't have been the first time." Niall's eyes drop from mine and he paces away from me. The tears have dried and he's beginning to clench his fists.

"I didn't mean to hurt you, I didn't mean to do this to you." my voice starts to tremble more as I can't see his face.

"But you did. You hurt me, and you did a very good job. Are you proud of yourself?" he turns toward me and the tears have completely dried, but have left clear stains upon his cheeks. His gorgeous eyes have become tired, destroyed. "I just don't understand you two." he points in Harry's direction and Harry lifts his head up, his hair a little more messy than usual from tugging on the ends.

"I don't know what to say, except for I'm sorry." Harry stands and puts his hands in his pockets. "I'll never be sorry for falling in love with her though." he cocks his head towards me as my eyes flash to Niall.

"What did you just say?" Niall's eyes become fumed as his feet start to slowly make their way to Harry, he muffles a sarcastic laugh. "That's not love, it's lust."

"How would you know? You've been out drinking away anything you get stressed over. While I've been here taking care of her and making sure she feels loved." Harrys hands are out of his pockets, slightly clenched together.

"You're gonna regret that." the words slip off of Niall's lips and the next thing I know he's got ahold of Harry's collar, swiftly carrying him to the wall.

There are too many actions going on, but before my mind can register what is really happening, Niall is above Harry, his fist connecting with his jaw repetitively, the noise coming from the action haunts me. I can hear myself scream at them to stop but nothing happens. They both ignore me, both too focused on winning to listen to me. I finally get myself to move and I grab for Niall's shoulders, pulling as hard as I possibly can to rip him off. It's just enough to through him off guard as he stumbles backwards on his feet.

"I'm leaving." Niall huffs, pushing my arms off of him, walking towards the door.

"Niall, wait!" I scramble behind him and try to grab his arm, in one swift motion he's facing me, inches away from me. "Stop." my breath comes out staggered as I'm not sure what to make of this Niall, I've never seen this side of him before.

"Why should I?" his voice is emotionless, robotic in a way. "I'll make this easy, we're taking a break. I'm leaving to stay with a friend. If you still want to be with me, prove to me that you're worth it. Make me believe that you actually care." he turns his back to me and grabs the suitcase, quickly swinging the door open wide. Before he can make another move, his shoulders slump and he slightly turns his head in my direction, eyes meeting the ground. "I still love you, you know that. But I need time. Don't make me regret this past year."