Chapter 5

“Oh my god, Serenity!” I started. Where was I? Oh, crap, I’d fallen asleep on the roof. Thank goodness it hadn’t rained last night. I turned to see Amy with a worried look on her face. “What on earth are you doing out here? You nearly gave me a heart attack!”

I stood up and walked back into my room. “Sorry, Amy, I fell asleep. It won't happen again.”

Amy gave me a quick hug and kissed my head. “It’s okay, you just scared me. You need to get ready, school starts in half an hour.”

I nodded and she left, closing the door behind her. I grabbed a pair of cobalt blue jeans and slid them on, putting a baggy black t-shirt with “the band is with me” in blue print over it. I slid on a pair of black converse and put on some black mascara and eyeliner with light blue eye shadow. I yanked a brush through my hair and slightly teased it before grabbing my backpack and going downstairs.

“Are you ready for your first day of school?” Nick asked.

No. I thought. “Yeah.”

“Alright, let’s go.” I got in the cop cruiser, Nick had work right after he dropped me off, and we drove away. My stomach tied itself in knots.

The school was simple, just a big building for all the classes and lockers. A side building was attached to the main one, labeled ‘office’. The parking lot was large and round, for student drop off and such. Nick parked the cruiser and we got out. People stared as we walked to the office. It probably looked like Nick was my probation officer by the way I was dressed. We walked in and got my schedule and books, leaving in a total of 5 minutes. Outside the office, Nick turned on me.

“You gonna be okay, sweety? You look a bit pale.”

“I’m always pale.” I smirked. Nick smiled and kissed my head.

“That’s my girl, have a good day. See you after work.” I watched him as he drove out of the parking lot. My stomach was trying to murder me from the inside out, I was pretty sure. I took a nervous look around. People were gawking and it made me feel self-conscious. I ducked my head and made my way to the building. I walked as fast as I could, hoping nobody would bother me.

“Hey!” I kept walking, sure that it was some chatty teenager shouting at her friends.

“Hey, new girl!” I turned around and saw a girl dressed in all black running towards me. She had short black hair with blue highlights that practically covered her face, but if you looked closely you could see her hazel eyes behind her bangs. When she reached me she bent over panting, holding up her finger for me to wait.

“God, I need to get in shape. Hi, I'm Panic. I know, weird name, but my parents decided that it fit. What’s your name?” she asked.

“Serenity, it’s nice to meet you, Panic.” I smiled, this girl was pretty cool. I mean, her name was Panic! How fucking awesome is that? I had decided last night that I could make a few friends, and this girl was on the list.

“Wow, Serenity is a cool name.” she smiled. “Do you need help finding your classes? I could show you if you want me too, and I can introduce you to everyone.”

I nodded and Panic dragged me towards the building.

“Hey, Serenity!” I turned to see Hunter walking towards us. “I see you’ve met Panic. Hey Pan!”

“What’s up bro? How’d you know Serenity?” Panic shouted right next to my ear.

“Whoa, you're gonna blow out my eardrum girl!” I laughed and stepped away. Panic looked so sad when I did that that I stepped back over and hugged her. “Just don’t scream in my ear please.”