6 - Smile

(Ok so I finally found the score soundtrack for Miss Peregrine's and I listened to the Olive's death scene part while writing this and i'm S H O O K)

{Jake]

I walked inside Miss Peregrine's house for the second time since yesterday when I was first brought to the loop. I wanted answers. 

I walked to the kitchen,  where I was greeted by Miss Peregrine. I began asking questions, but she wouldn't tell me anything. Frustrated, I walked out. I was then greeted by Enoch and Victor, who were obviously eavesdropping. 

"You seem frustrated." stated Victor.

I growled.  

"Can you guys at least tell me something? Anything about the monsters my grandpa hunted?" I said.

Enoch and Victor looked at each other, looking to be exchanging a silent message, but Enoch spoke first.

"Victor, no.." He said, a hint of desperation in his voice.

"Come on, shouldn't Jake meet everyone? Including Olive?" Victor said.

I suddenly  remembered what happened yesterday, when I was with Miss Peregrine. I had asked about Olive, the girl who could control fire. She simply told me that she was upstairs. 

Enoch sighed.

"Fine, Jake come on" He said, walking upstairs. 

I followed, Victor staying behind.

When we got upstairs, Fiona ran towards us.

"Enoch, please don't talk about Olive, It really upsets Claire!" She complained.

"It's ok, Fiona. Jake should meet everybody.." He said halfheartedly.

Fiona sighed and walked away. Enoch then opened the door, and inside, the room was dark, only the sunlight giving the room any illumination. 

There was also a bed, with a girl laying silently in it.

She had red hair, and her arms were at her sides. On her hands were black gloves.

"Hi..I'm sorry to disturb you-" I started.

"She..she can't hear you.." Enoch said.

"Oh.." I said, realizing what he meant.

"You see..Jake, The monsters your grandpa hunted..they kill peculiars...and..Olive..she.." He said, but I already understood. Olive was killed by one of the monsters.

I looked at Enoch. He a staring at Olive. So far, I had never seen Enoch have any emotion on his face besides a grim and neutral expression, but right then, Enoch had something like a dark cloud on his face. A dark cloud of sadness. 

"Were..were you close..?" I boldly asked.

I expected him to snap at me, but he simply responded in a soft voice;

"Sorta..she was closer to me than I was to her.." 

I looked back at Olive.

"She could control fire, right?" I asked, looking at her black gloves.

"Yeah..She would light my candles for me...boil me tea..I never got the chance to tell her..thank you...I never got the chance to tell her a lot of things.." Enoch said.

I felt a pain in my chest. I felt so bad for Enoch..

"Jake, There are mainly two reasons why I want you to stay. One, because you make Emma happy, and she hasn't been happy in years. Two, Abe was the only one who could see the monsters, that was his peculiarity..If you are truly peculiar, then you should have that gift also. I..I don't want anyone else dying, Jake.." He said. 

I nodded,  understanding. 

"I..I think I gotta go.." I said. 

I began walking out, but Enoch called for me.

"Jake, treasure Emma. You never know when you could lose her.." 

I nodded, feeling the pain in my chest again.

I walked out, and I looked back to see Enoch kissing the top of Olive's head.

I won't let anyone else die. I promise.

-------------------------------------------------

(Alternate ending where Jake kills Barron, and because Barron is dead, his hollow never killed Olive)

{Jake}

I returned back to the loop, where Miss Peregrine and the younger children were waiting. The older ones, Victor, Enoch, and Emma, had went with me to help kill Barron.

Just then, Fiona rushed down the stairs.

"Miss Peregrine! Miss Peregrine!" She yelled. We all looked over at her, She was out of breathe.

"What is it, Fiona?" Miss Peregrine asked.

"It's Olive! She's..alive!" She yelled.

Everyone gasped, but Enoch ran upstairs, the rest of us following.

When we got to the bedroom, Olive was upright, and Enoch was hugging her, muttering things like "I'm sorry Olive."

"H-how?" I asked.

"One of Barron's hollows killed Olive..but you killed Barron..so that means that the hollow never got in the loop and killed Olive!" Emma explained, a smile on her face. 

I looked over at Miss Peregrine for confirmation, and she was smiling also.

I looked back at Enoch again, and for the first time, I saw him smile.