Chapter 7: Serena

Harper and I had been watching the latest season of "Act Natural" on the HV pad when I got a call from Jasper.
Harper was my best friend, and we'd been friends since the beginning of high school. With both of us currently dating, and trying to stay caught up in everything having to do with the final school year and college applications, we rarely got to spend time together like this anymore. Most of friday night when she came home with me after school was spent talking and catching up on everything. Harper had a lot of different theories and conspiracies to share with me about the Apocalypse, so much so that I couldn't even begin to explain them all like she did. She also told me all about how her boyfriend had been a jerk and broken up with her, but another one of her friends had her back, and she thought she was slowly falling in love with them now, but that it might just be a rebound thing, so she wasn't sure. On the other hand, I didn't really have anything new to share, considering that I was happily in a steady relationship with Jasper. Harper did most of the talking when it came to relationships and conspiracies, and I did most of the listening. I did talk about how my family was dealing with the current situations, and we talked a lot about what colleges we wanted to get into.
Saturday afternoon, we found ourselves engrossed in watching "Act Natural." I liked the show, but I wasn't as crazy excited about it as Harper was. When my phone began to go off, I left Harper to finish the show without me and walked into the other room to answer.
"I have news," Jasper said from the other line. "Is Harper around?"
"No, I left her in the den watching 'Act Natural,'" I replied.
"Good, I need to talk to you about some things. My dad came home with new information about what they plan to do about the Apocalypse. There is a possibility that the government may be looking for a way to make a sanctuary base of some sort. Erm, It might be best if we talk in person though; it's some pretty private stuff."
"Sure thing Sweetie. But Harper isn't planning on going home until tomorrow evening, and I'm sure you want to spend some time with your dad. How about I just go home with you monday, and we can talk it over at your house?" I inquired.
"And maybe over dinner?" He asked.
"And a movie?" I added.
I heard him chuckle. "Sure thing Babydoll," he said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You missed the best part!" Harper yelled at me as soon as I walked into the room. Her arms were flailing madly at the HV, and she was muttering all kinds of nonsense, trying to explain the best part that I had just missed. I let her finish her exaggerated rage fit, and then we decided to order Chinese Take-Out. We ordered for the whole family; Mom and Addie were perfectly fine with Chinese for dinner too. Over dinner, I made sure to ask for permission from Mom if I could go home with Jasper monday, and she didn't mind so long as David -Jasper's dad- was there.
The next day, Harper was still over at my house, but we mostly did our own thing. I decided I was going to work on my college applications, but then a thought occurred to me.
"Harper, do you think there's any point in even applying for college now if we supposedly only have a year left on this Earth?"
"Hmm," Harper said, looking up at me from my floor where she was lying. "Probably not. But then again, it could just be government lies.."
"I honestly doubt this whole thing is a lie put in place by the government. But then again, the idea of it is just so hard to fathom," I said.
"Tell me about it. I mean, we supposedly only have a year left to live! Wait.. do you know what this means?!" Harper said, sitting up. I raised an eyebrow at her. "We have to make a bucket list and complete it before it's too late!"
"You're right!" I exclaimed.
And so began the creation of our grand bucket list. Some of the things that ended up on our list were preposterous while others were really simple. We had spent so long thinking and planning a spectacular assortment of events that by the time we had finished the list, it was already 8:00.
"We should probably leave now so I can get you home," I told Harper, noting at the time.
"Serena," Harper said, her face dead serious, "We've gotta get out of here. We can't just sit around in this town and wait for opportunities to arise when we can check the things off the bucket list. We have to get out there and do it ourselves!"
"Where do you suppose we go then?" I questioned.
"I don't know! But what I do know is we can't stay here," She said as she pulled up google maps on her laptop.
"Well, we can work on planning the trip the rest of the week, and then we can maybe go somewhere this weekend," I suggested.
"No, we have to leave tonight," She said as she furiously scrolled through locations.
"Harper! I can't just leave tonight! It's a school night, we haven't planned anything out, neither of us have packed, and what am I going to tell my family and Jasper?"
School isn't going to matter anymore, packing won't take long, and you can leave a note."
"You're insane!"
"I may be insane, but at least I'll die happily knowing that I fulfilled my dreams."
"Fine, I give in," I huffed, not knowing what I was getting myself into.