Chapter 19: Serena

I didn't remember falling asleep, but now I stared off into the darkness. I was still on the living room couch, and I could just make out the shapes of the furniture throughout the room. I wondered what time of night it was.

My head was throbbing immensely, and my throat was so dry that I could hardly swallow. I decided I should go into the kitchen to grab some ibuprofen and water. I rose slowly, knowing that if I got up too fast, I'd become overwhelmed with vertigo. Apparently, there was no avoiding the dizzy spell, and I had to steady myself with my hand.

My fingertips brushed the side of a leg, and that's when I realized that Jasper had never went home. He was reclined back on the couch, sound asleep, and I had had my head resting on a pillow in his lap.

I couldn't believe mom had allowed him to stay. I didn't think she would ever allow for something like that, unless it was because of some special circumstance.

Harper.

I could already feel the tears beginning to well up again, could already see the whole thing playing again.

Screams.

A gunshot.

Thud.

It was happening all over again. I shook my head, trying to rid the scene in my head, then got up and walked into the kitchen.

I took some ibuprofen and downed a glass of water. The clock on the oven read 4:23 am. I walked around for a bit, and stopped by Mom's bedroom door. I peeked in just to prove to myself that everyone was still here. She was there, and so was Addie and her doll. Sometimes Addie got scared at night and snuck into Mom's room to sleep with her. I didn't blame her.

I walked back over to the couch, and simply fell in love with the dreaming Jasper. His face was so relaxed and perfectly content, and just perfect altogether, even with the fading bruise. He looked like what comfort would look like if it were a person. I had missed him so much.

I lied back down on the couch, but this time I leaned my head into his chest and pulled the blanket that had been draped over me earlier around the both of us. He stirred, and I felt his arm lift and wrap around me.

I tried to push the thoughts of Harper away, but they just kept flooding in. I nuzzled my face into his shirt, breathing in the smell of him that was so genuine. I let the smells of him distract me from thinking about Harper's dead body. Of course I could smell the body wash that he used, and the laundry detergent on his clothes, but those were the scents that were fading from the day. And as those faded, I could smell the real him. It was comparable to that of old books; musty and sweet all at once. And completely calming.

I looked up at his face, so calm. My breaths had paired up with his, our bodies subconsciously matching the rhythm of each other. He would probably never know how calming it was for me to just to be in his presence, how much he meant to me. I was thankful with every inch of my soul that I still had him. I planted a small kiss on his chin, and I swear I saw his mouth twitch as if to smile in his sleep. I smiled too, and then I fell back asleep.