3 // truths & trials

"I mean there's a chance he's alive, don't get me wrong!" Marin panicked and shifted through the paper work. "Let me find the doctor, stay here." She looked sternly into Sevin's glassy eyes.

"We aren't leaving." Katie said and pulled Sevin into her arms.

Marin stood up and shuffled out of the room, her short ponytail swinging over her shoulders.

"He was fine. Dr. Price said...he fucking said he would be fine." She choked into her mother's chest.

"Sevin, you can come see him, he isn't exa-"

Sevin looked up from the seats and saw Dr. Price behind the glass pane, his posture at its normal height, and dashed to where he was.

"Where is he?"

"Sevin, please be calm when I say he isn't awake."

"Goddammit where is he!"

"Recovery, OR 4, third floor."

She took the information and led to the elevator with no response to the doctor.

He said that Brody wasn't awake. That doesn't mean he isn't alive, they just obviously had to put him under. But isn't that a long time?

Ding! She pushed the third floor button.

But then why would Marin's paperwork say he died? Why would his blood show fatality? Why is any of this happening?

Ding!

She looks at the golden number plates lining each door down the first hall.

"OR 2, OR 2B, OR 3..." She mumbled under her breath, herchest starting to heat up from what may be in the room two doors away from her.

"Brody?" She whispered as she creaked the door, not daring to look in.

"Brody?" She stepped into the small room, tentatively raising her head to see the boy whom she already cared for.

His skin was 2 shades paler, his eyes shut with a quiet snore.

"Hey," She took a seat next to his bed, searching for his cold hand and holding it loosely, feeling as if she could rip his frail skin.

"I don't know if you can hear me but I might as well try, right?" She sniffled, wiping her nose on the back of her hand.

"God is there no tissues in here? Um, but what I came to say is that...well I don't exactly know. I just wanted to come see you. They said you were dead Brody. Dead. If it was true, I don't know what I would do. I just feel weird about this you know? Like it's my responsibility to keep you alive, because I know how you feel and I'm supposed to keep other people from feelingthat. I'm supposed to be the different one. They said your blood tests were fatal. Freaking doctors." She buried her head into the palms of her hands, shaking her head into them.

"I like you Brody, I really do. I feel like I know more about you than I really do. Vice versa too. I think anyway."

"Sevin." He murmured, breaking the connection between her forehead and palms.

"Brody?" She let loose his hand and his eyes slowly fluttered open.

He stretched his arms in front of him, gradually cracking all the bones in his back, making Sevin cringe.

"The freaking bed is a rock." He smushed his head into a pillow, looking Sevin straight in the eyes.

"How do you feel?" She asked, rubbing the smudged eyeliner out of the corner of her eye.

"Like shit." He groans, clenching his fists. "You were right about that pumping."

"Does it hurt?" Her eyes darted to his reddening hands.