II.

"I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me. Please have snow and mistletoe and presents under the tree."

Christmas is not the best time in the Valderrama family. For the small children,  Isabella and Emmanuel it means daddy will not be there on their birthdays; for Demi it means hoping Wilmer will make it home for Christmas and forever. Wilmer had been in the Marines since him and Demi turned eighteen-years-old. He took a break to get a degree to bump up a few ranks to Gunnery Sergeant, but then the Marines wanted him back. Nobody can do their work like Wilmer's job in technology and combat.

Demi and Wilmer have been together for ten years and have two children together Isabella, who is four and Emmanuel who is one. You see next week is Christmas Eve and the children are without their father this Christmas. Last Christmas he was there but today Wilmer is stationed in Afghanistan.

This Christmas, Demi and the children are trying to enjoy their first Christmas in snowy West Virginia. This was Demi's first Christmas without her family since they are in California. As for Wilmer's family they are driving a block and a half. Captain Valderrama, Balbino, served the Navy for fifteen years before settling in California. Then, he moved out with his family to West Virginia after a job offer with the Navy. Now, both Valderrama men are close by each other; until Wilmer hears orders for another stationed zone.

"Mom, mom, I am fine

"Mom, mom, I am fine. Just relax. I know how to make a good turkey. I won't burn it, I swear. I will tell the kids you said you said "hi" and that grandma sends her love. Bye," says Demi rushing through her mother's phone call as she places the turkey in the oven.

'Three more hours to go...' sighs Demi as she wipes the sweat off from her face and relaxes on the couch. Demi turns to her side and watches her year old son sleeping with his tush sticking up. Emmanuel or Manny, had a festive morning with his sister and mother previous to his nap. They sang carols (well he made noises and banged on the pots with a drumstick), wobbled in the snow, and now enjoying a nap. Demi sighs as she tucks Manny's curly tuft hair to the side and wonders what is going on his little head.

As Demi and Manny take a nap, Isabella is decorating table mats for everyone. Including her father who cannot make it. She hopes he would make it, a wish from Santa she hope she received. Emmanuel not her have opened their gifts, yet, until Papa Captain Balbino and Nana Sobedia arrive. Aunt Stephanie is finishing her dance and business finals in NYU this week, so she cannot make it home. As for Aunt Marilyn, she should be a couples minutes late with baby Christian. Just three more hours.

As everything occurred in Casa Valderrama, Wilmer is on his way to surprise his little family. You see, Lance Corporal Morningstar let go of Gunnery Sergeant Wilmer for the holidays, until the New Years Day. As Wilmer arrived from Mazari Sharif Airport in Afghanistan to JFK Airport in New York; he boarded the van heading to West Virginia with five other troops. Wilmer did not want to miss his son's first Christmas, since he already missed Isabella's. He did not want to make the same mistake, again.