C H A P T E R O N E

One of my fondest  memories is my first time in the suitcase with my parents. You see, my father owns a suitcase full of many different creatures. My first time inside it was when I was but a baby...
________________________

"Newt, Rosemary's having a fit again..." Tina said groggily to her husband, Newt. Newt sat up in the bed and smiled gingerly. He got out and picked the crying baby up from its crib.
"What are you doing?" asked a confused and tired Tina.

"I think it's about time we show Rosie the suitcase." replied Newt.

Tina raised her eyebrows. "At three in the morning?"

"How else is she going to calm down?"

Eventually Tina decided to give in, and so they climbed into the suitcase, Rosemary in her father's arms. "First I want to introduce her to Bennie." Newt said firmly. He sat Rosemary on the floor and let Bennie come to her.

Bennie stood still until Newt scooped him up. "Say hi to Rosie," he cooed to Bennie, in that special voice he used only on Rosemary and his creatures. But Bennie only managed to wriggle out of his arms. Tina patted his shoulder.

"Maybe we could introduce her to a more sociable beast."

________________________

And after that, the memory fades. My memories are so dear to me that I keep them by my bedside in a jar. I should like to infuse my jar magically with memories, but I have yet to get a wand of my own, and I doubt that my father will do it for me.

So, for now I write them down on slips of paper. Everyday I pick a memory to relive.

My favorite are the ones involving my dear mother. I've missed her ever so much since she passed. She was smart, strong, and kind. She stood up for what she believed in. I want to be like her.

She passed away when I was a small young girl the age of six. It was by far the most horrible day of my life. I didn't understand why my mother was gone until the funeral, when I saw her lifeless body laying still in the casket.

I had buried my face in my father's coat and sobbed. I cried even more when he held and comforted me. I knew my mother would never hold me like that again.

________________________