part 5:

Over the next two weeks I saw Rior almost every day, and I slowly learned the Moridjian alphabet. One of these was more exciting than the other.

 I learned the stories of the Moridjians more than anything else, and my tutor was impressed. My etiquette tutor realized I was "better than expected" at manners because of previous training and decided to start teaching me wedding customs, which was frightening. It gave her a chance to berate me for something I really had no idea about. I was letting myself be a doll and try to charm her, although in my head I had to make up stories, reasons as to why I would ever have to behave the way she wanted me to. When she talked about the strength of Moridjian women, I felt myself become more invested in what she had to say, but she still wanted me to be mouldable for the king.

I began to feel comfortable enough around Rior to make jokes, and tell him my favorite stories. He would always bring me to a new place. I saw the ceremonial hall and the steps to the different exits of the tunnels. We went to the top of the tallest mountain the one day.

Rior shielded me from the wind, and I tried not to noticeably bask in his warmth. I could fall asleep against him, if I let myself, although at this point I could fall asleep nearly anywhere. I had lost weight from the disease, and my whole body was heavy, so Rior had to take breaks with me on the stairs cut inside the mountain going up. I was grateful when he would describe different members of the royal families. (genealogy we would start covering the next week.) He would tell me funny stories of when the prince was a child. I felt so conflicted because I loved the way Rior told these stories, but it also felt as though the prince should be the one telling me such things. I still met with the prince nearly every day, especially on the days when I didn't see Rior. The prince felt like a poor substitute for Rior's crinkling laugh. 

I hated that this was the way I thought about that.

Rior took my hand to help me up the stairs, I tried to quell the fluttering in my stomach.

I left my cold hand in his warm one though, as close to the top it was getting colder. I was shivering while we took a break this time.

"Rior, what will happen?" He looked at me.

"We will look out at the mountains until we are cold and then walk back down." He gave a lopsided smile and I smacked his arm.

"When I am married, will we still be able to be friends? Or will you fade away?" He grew thoughtful, perhaps he knew this question had been bothering me. I refused to look at him while I waited for his answer.

"I do not know for sure, I could ask the King."

"No, that might make him suspicious of us."

"Suspicious of what?" He asks and I shake my head.

"In my culture, an unrelated woman and man are not meant to be left alone without a chaperone unless they are already married." I admit what I felt as though I was trying to keep hidden.

"Have I made you uncomfortable?" he asks, worried. I shake my head, almost too tired to open my mouth.

"I don't know that I agree with the rule, but I don't want the king to think I would do anything against the prince. Women have been killed for less."

"He would never think that- never do such a thing. He could not threaten you- for The prince's sake he would not ever." Rior spoke vehemently and I shivered, nodding, appeased. Safe.

I hoped our friendship would last, but the way Rior just spoke made me think he was developing feelings for me, at least becoming more protective. I had not had many male friends so I didn't know what to think. I wasn't sure if my own feelings were tainting the way I thought he felt about me, the way I acted around him.