WORD THREE: GOLLY

"Golly, she stepped on my toe!"
"Golly, Matron just gave me another dose of black tonic."
"I golly well want to eat pudding!"

Which of these is the incorrect use of the word "golly"? For all those who are not yet Blyton connoisseurs, the answer is the last sentence. Why? Read on to find out!

HISTORY
King Richard II often had a bad habit of chewing his supper while conversing with his companions. You would think a King would have better table manners, but alas, no. This unfortunate habit made his words sound very garbled when they came out. Many a diplomatic blunder was caused by Richard during his meals. For example, when asked if he would make an alliance with France, Richard accidentally spat on the ambassador in his haste to say yes. This also resulted in the bloodiest war between England and France that had ever occured.

The founding of 'golly' was relatively harmless. Richard was overseeing his court making merry and dancing during one Christmas. He thought that some of the dancers looked a bit too lucklustre, so to inject them with a bolt of energy, he started screaming "JOLLY" from his dias. However, the food in his mouth made it seem like he was screaming "GOLLY", a word that old Enid seems to adore, judging by its extensive use in her books.

DEFINITION
Used as an exclamation when something extraordinary happens.

WHEN TO USE IT
When your dim-witted friend manages to get a good grade, or when Gwendolyn is actually spotted swimming during Games class.