Chapter Two: Surprise

~~~~Present Tense~~~~

I sat in my Geometry class, lost trying to figure out the impossible work that our teacher had given out. I sat down my pencil and rubbed at my temples with a sigh, trying to calm my mind so it didn't go overboard. I sat like that with my eyes shut until I heard a familiar voice say my name.

"Mimi," said the voice,"Pssst, hey! Mimi!"

I kept my same pose I was in and looked upwards to the body in front of me that was turned towards me.

"Yes, Eli?" I asked as he stared at me with a bright smile.

"Relax, I'll help you," he said grabbing one of my hands and patting it gently.

"Thanks," I replied with a small, thoughtful smile.

His milk chocolate eyes lit up brightly as he came to stand over me and help me with my work. He always had my back in any situation, no matter what. And I did the same for him. I would put my life on the line to protect him, and I know he would do the same for me after all that we had been through together. After Damon....

I fluttered my eyes and shivered, shaking away the thoughts before they occured.

"You okay?" Eli asked looking a bit concerned.

The feeling of his breathe on my neck sent sudden chills down my spine. Why was this happening? It's just Eli, I shouldn't be feeling this way. I quickly brushed off the feeling and looked up to him reassuringly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said to him with a confident grin.

He seemed to believe it and grinned back, turning his attention to the sheet infront of them. He sat with me and explained it enough until I finally understood it. He checked over my work once I had finally finished and nodded his head.

"You got it," he said with a smile.

"Yes! For once, I finally understand the work crafted by Satan himself!" I exclaimed while laughing at myself, Eli joining in on the laughter.

"You're welcome," he said teasingly with a wink, tapping my cheek twice before returning to the seat in front of me.

I wrote my name at the top of the paper and stood up to turn it in. After I turned away from the teacher I noticed Eli staring at me before he quickly looked away. I walked back in his direction to my seat, smacking the back of his head as I reached his side.

"Hey!" he exclaimed with a look of surprise as I giggled.

"Oh, you will pay!" he said, giving me a sly, evil grin.

"Yeah, we will see about that," I said returning his expression.

"Today is Friday ya know?" He asked while staring into my eyes that were the same color as his.

"Yeah? What about it?"I asked curiously.

"We should do something, we haven't hung out in a long time due to...well you know..." He said trailing off.

His recent break up with his ex girlfriend, Mel, has been pretty rough on him. He had spent every waking moment with her, and spent every penny he earned buying whatever she begged for. I had warned him that she was nothing but a filthy gold digger, but he refused to believe me. So he ended up finding out the hard way. He caught her kissing his best friend, Nelson, at his own locker. Needless to say not only was Mel out of the picture, but lets just say Eli found him a new friend. He came to me crying the day it happened, I had never seen him in such an upset state over a girl. The look of sadness in his eyes made my heart sink instantly, I couldn't bear it.