Chapter 22 - A Perfectly Cracked Mirror

Celebrations were scarce these days, and they often came with a price. Outside the city walls, the men and women who died protecting the city from the monsters were put to rest by pyre. The families of the soldiers were allowed to see them off, and most had sat on the fields all day, seeing their loved one's ashes scattered to the winds. It was harsh, seeing their faces red with tears as their sons, daughters, wives, and husbands were acknowledged as the shield between humanity and the beasts that lurked outside. Burial was the usual tradition, it was custom to bury soldiers, but the graveyards were overrun with the dead, and some of the more wretched monsters that slithered under dark cloudy skies found a liking to the corpses.

     Celebrations were a momentary victory for humanity, but a much needed one. James let the soldiers cheer him on as he sat in the Great Hall inside the Mioran castle. They were his old comrades, he reciprocated the smiles they gave him. They deserved an excuse to let loose tonight, and he wouldn't take that away from them. This moment was for them to forget about their lost friends and family. James wished this celebration would last longer than a moment for  them and everyone in the kingdoms, but healing was never that simple.

     Grim cut through the crowd and jumped on James, pushing him to the ground in an aggressive hug.

"You had to make a grand entrance like always!" Grimm yelled to everyone. "This man disappears for half a year, and completely destroys a Juggernaut all by himself!" Grimm paused for a second, taking a big chug from his drink and raising it up once he was done. "To the Giant Slayer!" 

James groaned as the soldiers all around him cheered "Giant Slayer!" Some of them still called him captain when they saw him; it surprised him that they weren't angry at him for abandoning them. The men in his squad knew him better than to be a deserter, and that respect they had for him rubbed off on everyone else.

     James squeezed his way out of Grimm's passionate embrace and the soldiers barely noticed as they paraded around the room, sharing stories of the fight. They were all a mess, but he grinned at the joy on their faces. James turned to the door, ready to leave the heroes  to their festivities, but was stopped short.

Goddess, help me, he prayed to himself.

     Across the great hall was Queen Arianna, talking to a couple soldiers and staff. She was smiling ear to ear, seeming enamored by the stories being told to her. Her Ashen skin stood out like the moon on a sunny day, you couldn't miss it no matter how hard you try. He wondered how he managed not to spot her sooner. Did she know he was here?

Walk up to her, the voice inside his head told him.

He listened to that voice, and began towards her. It was ridiculous for him to feel a hint of fear by just walking up to an old friend.

You didn't say bye to her, said the voice again.

Maybe it wasn't so ridiculous for him to feel a little afraid of her reaction. After all, he was gone for quite a while. Did she worry for him? Was she looking for him? So many questions running through his head, but before he could find answers to them, he was already in front of her.

            The Queen gave him a casual look over, her face showing the descent of the smile she had just been wearing moments before he interrupted. James smiled a little too hard, it was his nervous smile, the one he couldn't help in awkward situations.

Arianna gave him a nod, "Hello James," and turned around to her friends and resumed her conversation with them. It was expected.

     The soldiers gave James a look, but didn't dwell long as the air soon turned uncomfortable for even them. James could have walked away, and given her the space she wanted...but when did he ever make good decisions?