Waking Up

His eyes fluttered open. The familiar burn of florescent lights blinded him. Desperately, he tried to move his feet, to check for chains. Only he couldn't move them at all now. Through ringing ears and his own heavy breathing, he heard his name being called.

           "Dr. Gordon? Dr. Gordon, can you hear me?"  a soft voice called out. Lawrence inched away from the light touch the best that he could. The nurse took her hand off his shoulder.

          "Where the fuck am I?" Lawrence asked, almost sobbing.

          "You're in the hospital, Dr. Gordon. The police were notified that you were being held captive in a warehouse bathroom. Instead, they found you in one of the hallways. With one of your feet missing," the nurse spoke softly and slowly.

           "They still checked the bathroom, right? There was someone else in there!" he shouted. The nurse opened her mouth to answer, but he interrupted her with another question. "Where's my wife?"

          The nurse looked down before speaking. "I'm sorry that I have to be the one to inform you, but Allison filed for a divorce." Lawrence's eyes dimmed.

          "What do you mean, divorce? She called me in that bathroom, she was all I had. For fuck's sake, I cut off my foot to save them!" His voice was riddled with defeat. His voice pitched. "They were all I had left."

          Tears poured freely from the doctor's eyes. He looked at himself. He was safely wrapped up in a thin blanket and was wearing one of the gowns that he had always hated. Raising his hands, he studied them; shaking, scraped, and bruised. The wounds there were already healing, however a different wound was still throbbing in his brain.

          "Did she tell you anything?" He asked, almost at a whisper. She nodded slowly. He let his head hit the pillow behind him, almost on the verge of tears. "Tell me. Please."

          "She wanted me to tell you that she is leaving you due to what just happened. She just doesn't feel safe here anymore. Her plan is that you still get to spend some time with Diana, she will just live with Allison for most of the time," the nurse said regretfully. "I'm so sorry." Lawrence's eyes shifted.

          "God," he murmured. He knew that Allison was never happy with him or their relationship, but he never thought it would come to this. They had never talked about it, and he always thought is was because of Diana. Diana was the only thing keeping them together. They wanted what's best for her. She already had a mother who was always complaining about her husband, and a dad who was never there. Lawrence didn't want to put her through anything else. And Allison had sounded so sincerely concerned about him in the bathroom. He needed her then, and he needs her now. Despite how much he didn't want to admit it, he did learn something from the bathroom: He had  been taking his family for granted. They used to be so happy. What fucking happened?