Chapter 12: Prognosis

Lorelai accepted the coffee Rory brought. Rory and Logan shared a sofa in Emily's room while Lorelai sat on bed beside her mother's legs. A different doctor than previously came in and introduced himself, Dr. Martin Barrow.

"I am the oncologist that has been assigned to your mother's case." Dr. Barrow informed. 

"Oncologist?!" Rory spat.

"Lorelai, Rory, I'm going to go ahead and  step out of the room and leave you ladies to talk with this fine doctor, I'll go sit with Luke." Logan said. "Please excuse me."

"Yes, Dr. Barrow agreed, "oncologist."

Lorelai moved to the couch to sit next to Rory and took her by the hand, holding back tears. 

"According to the scans we took, it looks like your mom's diagnosis is stage IV metastatic melanoma with metastasises to the liver, brain and skin, giving her about a 5% survival chance.. we can discuss her prognosis after you've taken some time to digest all this. It's sudden, I know, so take your time. I'm going to check on another patient's labs and I will make my way back to your mom's room and you can gather your questions for me when I come back." Dr. Barrow informed. 

He left the room. Emily was still peacefully sleeping, as peaceful as could could look with an endotracheal tube shoved down  her throat. 

"Gosh, this is so awful mom."

"It's a lot to take in kid.." Lorelai said.

"It-, it just happened so fast." Rory choked.

"I know.. I know." Lorelai rested her head on Rory's left shoulder.

They both just sat in silence, soaking everything up.

"Do you think I should call Paris?" Rory asked. "I mean I haven't talked to her in a couple months but I think she might know more about this than the both of us combined."

"Yeah, go ahead hun. Call whoever. I'm gonna go find Luke and Logan." Lorelai said

"Mom, I never got the chance to tell her, anything. The baby, the marriage, nothing." Rory cried.

"Call Paris, one step at a time. I'm gonna go find the guys."