Chapter 13: Surgery

Lorelai approached the waiting room to find Luke and Logan both just sitting in silence staring at the floor. 

"Lorelai, hi, how are you?" Luke jumped.

"It's not good Luke-" Lorelai cried. "It's not good at all." 

She fell into Luke's arms. Logan stood and rubbed her back, confirming that they were here for her.

"I can't lose my mom, not yet, not like this. She was doing so good, after dad. I was doing so good too." 

Lorelai sat down along side Luke and Logan and waited for Rory to return from her phone call.

"She didn't answer, I called 12 times and left 5 text messages and she didn't answer." Rory whined.

"It's okay, really. We can go talk to the doctor.." Lorelai encouraged as her and Rory headed back to Emily's room.

Dr. Barrow was already in the room talking to Emily, who was now conscious with no endotracheal tube any longer, just nubbins in her nose to provide oxygen. He was explaining to her the diagnosis and the severity. Lorelai and Rory took a seat back on the couch and apologized for intruding. 

"Before you start throwing questions at me I do need to say one thing," Dr. Barrow informed, "Emily is going to need surgery, now, tonight, she has a temporal lobe metastasis that needs to be removed, while I prep the OR for her I can send in my partner, Dr. Karley Jenkins. She doubles as a neurosurgeon and an oncologist, so really she can answer all." 

"Oh okay, um, okay, yeah. We can just wait." Lorelai stammered. 

"You need to spend what time you have now with your mother generously, this is a very extensive surgery, and complications are always a possibility. Her age and how progressed her tumor is really play a role" He explained. 

He left the room and closed the door behind him. Emily turned to Lorelai and Rory. 

"Lorelai, I'm dying." Emily said.

"Oh, mom..." Lorelai sobbed.

"No, I am, and I just want you to know how proud I am of you. You never failed to make me and your father proud. You gave us a beautiful, healthy, intelligent grandchild. You married a man that worships the ground the two of you girls walk on. You run your own inn, you did that. You did all of that, all you. I love you, and I'm sorry for all the trouble I gave you for so many years." Emily disclosed.

"Grandma, me and Logan got married in London, I'm carrying his child. We are happy, I'm happy." Rory announced. 

Lorelai stared at Rory, uncertain if that was appropriate timing, too late now, already said. 

"Rory, you know how proud you make me, your grandfather and I take great pride in you and your accomplishments." Emily said.

"Mom, thank you. For everything, our relationship has never been easy but I know I couldn't have made it this far without you." Lorelai expressed.