BETTI

This is my Robinsonade submission for the Grand Finale of SciFi Smackdown 2016 by @LayethTheSmackdown. I used the mandatory two images of the red planet and the small island. The other four images used are the underwater Leviathan, the elf girl, the lava hills, and the king with mermaids. The quotes used are highlighted. The song is used at the end of the story.

"BETTI"

"Wow," he whispered, looking out through the small viewport only inches in front of his face. The giant red planet with the rings of ancient debris filled him with the awe of God's magnificent creativity. Close to that large red planet was the habitable moon, in an odd polar orbit, that he had selected to land on. The only other option had been a smaller moon where he had heard there was a Krenim outpost. He'd definitely had enough of the Krenim for one lifetime.

The order to abandon ship, due to the heavy damage the frigate had taken, was no surprise. Peter, Parson Peter to the frigate's crew, had already safely tucked himself in the escape capsule, hiding. He wasn't a fighting man, but he was on a fighting ship with nothing to do except pray. The quiet of the escape capsule offered him a good place to do that and a good place to -- hide.

It also helped quell the urge to scream and gibber in front of the men -- something that wouldn't be a good example coming from their spiritual leader. But now, wrapped in what was basically a tin can, plummeting at a speed he didn't care to think about, the habitable moon was filling his field of view a lot faster than was comfortable.

The escape capsule started vibrating so hard his teeth were chatting, "Shi-i-it!"

The revered silence was broken by a voice he had never heard before, "Parson, such language, please."

He was so stunned he stopped caring that the small metal craft felt like it was going to shake apart. He had limited motion in his head or extremities, but he looked around as much as he could.

Finally, he spoke, "Umm, hello?"

"Yes, Darling. I'm here."

"Wh – who — who are you?"

"I'm the AI, Darling. You can call me BETTI."

"Betty?"

"Close enough, Parson. I'm the Basic Emergency Transport Technology Interface: BETTI."

The small craft gave a sudden lurch, drop, and thump as it passed through a thermal.

"FUCK ME!"

"Parson! I must insist you refrain from such language," her tone of voice was scolding, "A man of the cloth should not be so comfortable with debased hyperbole."

"Really? Really, Betty? You're giving me shit for swearing when this damn ship may explode at any moment?"

"The ship will not explode, Darling," her voice was no longer admonishing, "We are well below tolerance parameters. In fact, we'll be landing in about sixty seconds; then we can get on with keeping you alive."

"Umm, Betty, when this thing lands, I'm getting the hell – sorry, I'm getting the heck out of it. So, nice to meet you and all but ..."

He screamed louder than he had when he thought the ship was going to explode. The armature moved so fast it barely registered in his vision, the prongs on the end of the device plowing deep into his neck behind his right earlobe.

"What in holy hell was ..."

There was an explosion of white. The searing white light in his eyes constituted a pain more intense than he ever felt before. At almost the same moment, a shrieking whistle erupted in his ears, making him think his eardrums had ruptured and that his brains were leaking out the two holes. As if that wasn't enough, every muscle in his body seemed to spasm at the same moment. Held in the thrall of these terrors, he was sure the ship had crashed, and he was now on his way to some unforetold afterlife; certainly not the one promised in scripture.