One with the Force

The scenary was stunning, the last golden drops of sunlight falling on the sand of equal color, the sea so flat it almost looked like a mirror the clouds would use in order to check whether they still looked as soft as they wanted to, fitting perfectly in the blue and orange sky. The palm trees watched in silence, only their leaves were gently moving in the slight evening breeze.

Right in between the trees and the sea, just some footsteps away from the water, lay two people on the ground, their arms wrapped around one another, both unaware of where they were. The woman was the first one to regain consciousness as she slowly opened her eyes, not surprised to find herself lying on a beach together with this man but rather to do anything at all. She couldn't get up since he still held her tightly so she wasn't left with another choice but whispering his name.

"Cassian." He didn't show any reaction at all but watching him she realized how peaceful he looked for the first time. Normally he had a hard expression on his face, always seemed prepared to fight. But now, and then, during... She needed to wake him instantly as every second she spend in her thoughts confused her more. This whole thing simply wasn't possible!

"Wake up, Cassian", she said a bit louder than the first time which made her throat hurt instantly as if she had just swallowed a chainsaw. However, she still repeated calling his name until he finally blinked a few times and opened his eyes, looking directly at her which made her heart beat faster within a second.

"Jyn?" Judging from his reaction he was at least as confused as her, not to mention that his body still hurt when he finally let go of her and set next to her on the soft sand, only to wrap one arm around her one second later. She didn't pull back but instead rested her head on his shoulder looking out on the sea that didn't show any sign of destruction at all.

"We are dead, right?" Cassian finally put the thoughts both of them had in words. She hesitated a moment but then answered genuinely.

"I guess so. I mean, there is no way we could have survived this." She didn't remember their final moment, when the wave finally hit them, but she had witnessed on Jedha what destruction the Death Star left behind. And they had been there, within the area where survival was impossible.

"So this is the mysterious Force everyone is so crazy about." He laughed but it didn't sound really sincere to her. "Said to be the most wonderful thing ever but yet nothing's changed." In fact being dead made it even worse. Because now there was nothing left he could change and there was still so much he needed to change.

"Thank you", Jyn suddenly whispered, getting him back from his dark thoughts into reality.

"What for?" He looked down at her, a wondering expression on his face. They were a team; there was no way why she needed to thank him.

"For going this way with me." Did his ears deceive him or was there sadness in her voice?

"I told you I'd stick with you." Since she didn't say anything he decided to go on. "I told you back there, on Yavin 4, that I believed you. That I would go with you because it was the right thing to do. Because nothing I've ever done in my entire life was as right to do as following you to steal the Death Star plans." His life wasn't worth calling it that way. It had been a constant fight, a battle that he'd eventually lost.

She felt like she wanted to say something about his past, anything to comfort him, but she just lacked the right words to do so. Instead she decided to stick with the mission that has brought them so close together.

"I wouldn't have been able to steal the plans without you and the others." Thinking about the others made her heart hurt. They were gone too, probably also somewhere around. She hoped they weren't alone and that they would eventually meet again. So she could thank them all for their sacrifice.