Chapter Two

I was floating, or at least felt like I was, because there was no other feeling; no sound, no smell, only darkness.  But then there was something.  Muffled voices – a man and a woman, from the sound of it – and a pinprick of light slowly began to spread to a soft glow.  My eyelids fluttered open, and I could make out a dimly lit room, but even that small amount of light hurt my eyes and made my head ache.  Raising my hand to my face, I saw the clean, white bandages on my arms.  And I remembered. 

            Lobo, I thought, worriedly, and sat up, too quickly, as I fought off a wave of dizziness. When I realized I was only wearing underwear beneath the rough blanket, I clasped it to myself.  Wide awake now, I looked around the room.  It was large with big dingy windows, the kind you see in a warehouse or an old school building.  The light in the room was actually filtering through these windows, so I knew it was daytime.  The room was filled nearly wall-to-wall with cots, like the one on which I was now sitting.  My clothes were folded on the one next to me.  A few of the cots appeared to be occupied, but everyone was sleeping, or so it seemed.  I could still hear the voices from outside the room, as though they were just on the other side of the door.  So, I got up, dressed, and slipped into my shoes, before making my way toward it, in order to hear more clearly. 

            “You say she is not one of them,” a female voice said.

            “Right, but – ”

            “Well, then there is no reason why she cannot remain here with us,” the woman interrupted the male voice.  “We cannot turn away someone in need.  She would not last a day out there, especially not on her own. You have seen her. You carried her back here, did you not?” she went on.

            The man sighed in resignation.  “Fine.  She can stay.  But she needs to pull her own weight around here.  Everyone works.”  He paused.  “Besides, I’m sure she’s well enough to speak for herself, aren’t you?”           

            I stiffened. 

            “Yes, I know you’re there,” he said, and pushed the door open.

            My jaw dropped, and I raised my eyes.  These two were huge; broad and well built.  The woman would make any Amazonian proud: several inches taller than my average height, dark hair pulled back into a long braid, warm copper-brown skin, and fit. The man was even larger, with slightly lighter, well-tanned skin, russet-colored hair drawn into a short ponytail, and a muscular build.  Looking straight ahead, I would stare directly into his chest.  His size reminded me of the thing I had encountered in the woods. 

            The woman’s features softened.  “Look now, Derik.  You have frightened her.”  She reached toward me, palms up, but did not touch me.  “I apologize for my friend.  He can seem rather fierce but is quite the opposite,” she said, drawing my eyes away from the large man with the overpowering presence.  Though unsure of him, I began to relax at the woman’s words and took her offered hands.  Almost immediately, my fears were dampened.

            “Wh – where am I?” I asked.

            “You are in a safe house,” the woman reassured.  “I am Glenna, and this is Derik.  He is the one who found you.  Or, should I say, the one whom you found?”  She chuckled a little, and her dark eyes sparkled.  “And what do they call you?”

            “Um, my name’s Ha – Haylee.  What exactly happened?  Have you seen my dog?  He was fighting that – that thing.  I couldn’t stay, I knew, but hated leaving him.  The last thing I remember is that light and running into…” I shook my head and continued, “…something.  Is he alright?” Despite my anxiety, I forced myself to look into the man’s eyes, since he had been there.  He did not seem to want to look at me.