Chapter Three

“What do you mean, ‘another time’?” Derik all but shouted.  Then he threw his hand up to signal a stop, and I saw him compose himself.  Just barely.  He took a deep breath and lowered his hand.  “What does that mean?”

            Though I wanted to ask the same question, I managed only to deepen my frown.

            But the woman answered him, “It means exactly what it sounds like.  She traveled through time to get here.  From the past, I believe.  How far, I am not sure.  But it was no accident, I am quite certain.”  She looked at me thoughtfully.  “Something that seems completely common to us, would be tremendously frightening to someone who had never even heard of these creatures before, let alone experienced such an attack.  To come from a world where they do not yet exist is extraordinary.  But what is more amazing to me is one of them traveling to your time.  Why would they do that?”  She paused.  “You were fortunate to have such a heroic protector, Little Haylee.  Otherwise, I fear you would not be here now.”

            Those words finally broke my silence.  “You know so much.  What about him?  Did he survive?  Do you know?”

            The woman lowered her eyes for a moment.  “Alas, I cannot see that... I saw only what you have seen.  I am sorry.”  She met my eyes.

            I nodded and looked off to one side, blinking tears away.  When I was certain they would not fall, I gave a sniffle, and asked, “How do you know all you do?  Glenna’s been by my side since I woke up.  She didn’t know all the details before that.”

            The woman looked at me a little sheepishly then.  “I do apologize.  For time’s sake, I got all of this information when you were first seated before me.  I broke through your mind’s defenses.  Which wasn’t very hard, by the way.  You really need to work on that, but we can figure it out another time.  In any case, it seemed a mere second or two for you, when it was really a tiny bit longer.  I simply looked through your memories, found what I needed, and retained them as if they were my own.  Once again, I apologize, but it was much quicker than having you tell me your story.”

            “It felt as if my eyes had gone a little too long between blinks,” I replied.  “But, yes, it had felt like just a second had passed.”  I paused, before adding, “I really don’t like the idea of someone fishing around in my head, but I guess I do understand in this situation.”  Though I still did not know just how to feel about it, I did have the strange knowledge I could trust this old woman.  And somehow, at the same time, I knew I could trust Derik, and the rest of the group in general.  I took a deep breath. “Okay, so I traveled through time, into the future.  But how?” I asked.

            Derik interrupted, “It’s that easy? You just believe.  Just like that?”  I saw anger in his face, anger mixed with some other emotion I could not place. “Are you that naïve?!  Will you believe anything?!  I can’t be – ” He stopped himself.

            I took the chance to interject.  “No.  Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t believe, couldn’t believe it.  But these aren’t normal circumstances.  This is just fucking messed up, that‘s what this is.  I’m sorry,” I said to the woman, who simply bowed her head.  “But, also, it feels right,” I turned toward him, my hands pressing against my stomach.  “And, somehow, I know it is.”  I stared into his eyes, and he blinked down at me.

            He turned, raking his fingers through his hair, and groaned.  He pulled his hands down over his face, and I vaguely heard a string of obscenities.  Then he swung back around, dropped his hands to his sides, and sighed forcefully.  “Fine,” he said, not looking at anyone in particular.