'225'

I woke up at 6am and couldn't go back to sleep, school didn't start until 9. So I decided to have a long shower and I ended up at the school for half 7. I walked into the cafeteria and a familiar face stood up. Dawn!

"Morning, Dawn. I didn't expect you to be here this early." I say to her as I approach.

"OH GOD, Ash, you startled me! I didn't know you took breakfast this early?" Dawn sighs.

"Sorry. I don't. This is an exception to the rule. I'd greatly prefer to be late to school than early to breakfast."

She gives a small smile at my admitted tardiness as I begin eating my food.

After a little while of eating Dawn breaks the silence.

"Ashton, do you mind if I ask you a question?" Dawn says.

"Sure, I prefer to be called Ash...." I sweatdrop because she's calling me my full name which I don't like.

"Do you think of Serena as a friend?" She says.

Huh, this seems like a leading question.

"I guess so. She's really kind and cute. Why'd you ask?" I ask her.

"Aw, oh, and no real reason." She smiles.

"Another question! Why is it that you think of her as a friend?" She smiles again.

What's she expecting from me?

"I'm not really sure. I guess it's because she's a little different in the way she deals with people." 

"Hmm. Since I've known her, she hasn't really connected with anyone." Dawn plays with her food.

"She doesn't seem interested in other people, and I think people are a little scared off by her appearance." Dawn starts look sad.

"Really? I thought that kind of thing was, well, discouraged here. Discriminating and such." 

"Hmm, if I were to put it one way..." Dawn puts her hands together.

"I'd say that you're a little oblivious and naive." She giggles.

I'd be insulted if not for that slightly cynical grin on her face.

"I....see." 

"While the school has a stronger sense of community compared to other schools, it's far from being free of conflict," Dawn says.

"Rules cannot remove human nature, after all, only suppress it." She adds on.

...

"Tell me, are you free tonight?" Dawn changes the subject.

"Freeee as the breeze." I say.

"Alrighty, you're joining me and Serena for tea." She smiles.

"I have no money at the moment, so going out isn't re-"

"At my dorm." She cuts me off.

"Sure, what's your room number?" I ask her.

"225; room 25 on the second floor." She answers.

"Can't wait!" I fist pump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I nervously rap on the door marked 225, checking my watch once again.

"Is that you, Ash? It's open, come on in." I heard Dawn shout.

This is the first time I've been invited to a girl's room after dark.