{highlights}

Alexander Hamilton Had a Torrid Affair was emblazoned on the front of the newspaper. The charge against me is a connection with one James Reynolds. For purposes of improper speculation. My real crime is an amorous connection with his wife for a considerable time with his knowing consent. I had different meetings with her, most of them at my own house. Mrs. Hamilton with our children and their aunts being absent on a visit to her father. That was all Alexander had to write that Ellis cared for. She knew something was off, and she was furious for not noticing it sooner. She sent a letter to Alexander to let him know that she was, in fact, very mad at him. This was not her friend that she thought she knew.

The next morning, the de Lafayette household woke to a few letters. Some from Eliza, short ones from Alexander, and a rather lengthy one from Philip. The one from Philip had read Aunt Ellis. She took it and opened the envelope. Please read this in a place where no one else can, please.

Ellis took the letter into her backyard, she yelled for Lafayette to wake Aceline and help her to get ready. They didn't have any servants or slaves out of respect for their late friend, John Laurens. The letter was longer than the ones Alexander sent but shorter than all Eliza's letters combined.

My dearest Aunt Ellis,

I feel as if this stress is pushing down hard on my family. I was wondering if Angelica and I could live with you and your family at least until my parents stop ignoring each other. Will, John, James, and Alexander Jr. aren't old enough to understand what is happening right now, but Angelica and I do understand and we are both hurting. I understand if you cannot let us stay, but we are asking because we know we can trust you.

Your favorite Nephew,

Philip Hamilton

Ellis bit her lip. She wanted to help them, but she wasn't sure if helping them run away from the situation would help anyone. Regardless, she wrote back,

My dearest nephew Philip,

I am aware of the current predicament you are in and I would be happy to have you over, but in situations like these, communication is key. Do not let this ruin your relationship with your mother or father. We'll be expecting you and Angelica by Friday, the latest.

Your favorite Aunt,

Ellis de Lafayette

Ellis was sure that Lafayette would not be bothered by the two extra bodies in the household but rushed to tell him anyways. She pushed the door and reentered her home. Lafayette was cooking in the kitchen and Ellis could smell eggs, bacon, and toast. Aceline was singing nursery rhymes and Ellis smiled. She picked up Aceline and tickled her. Aceline screamed and giggled, squirming and trying to escape her mother's grasp. When she did escape, she ran to her father. Lafayette, who had stopped cooking, picked up their child and pulled her in close. "Lafayette," Ellis started. How did someone word that she invited two people to stay with them? "Oui, mon amour?" Lafayette replied. Ellis melted at the sight of him with their daughter. "I invited Philip and Angelina to stay with us for a few days," she finally said. "Okay," was all Lafayette said.

"Okay?" Ellis questioned. She had expected something else. "We both know that that family is broken at the moment, so we give them space to breathe. I trust your judgment, mon amour." She smiled and leaned up to kissed him. "They'll be here on Friday," she mumbled. "Okay," Lafayette replied. In the grand scheme of things, Ellis was sure that it would all work out. This brought forth thoughts, however. Thoughts of when Ellis believed that Lafayette was cheating on her in France. She was glad that that wasn't the case. He loved her and she loved him.

"Ew!" Aceline's display of disgust was what brought Ellis back out of her thoughts. "Mommy and daddy no!" she screeched at the kiss. Ellis smirked before showering her daughter with kisses. Lafayette joined in and soon they were all laughing. Lafayette let their daughter wander back around the house. He wrapped his arms around his wife and hummed.

"Let's have another," Lafayette suggested. "I guess, but I feel like we should wait. It doesn't feel right. I want it to feel right," was Ellis' response. Lafayette hummed again and kissed her. "Okay."

-----
four chapters left