II

Fear was a disease, and it had spread throughout the town like the cold of winter through an animal. The Spaniards brought it. And with it came anger. It was anger that stemmed from fear and resentment towards their oppressors.

Only the elders knew stories of a time when Kino's people were free and unburdened. It was merely a legend, something that felt so real, that the villagers could almost reach out and take it, but a wall stood between them and freedom.

But rebellion- hope- is also a disease. Not as potent and strong as fear, but it was there. It was a fuse, that when lit, would knock down the walls that encompassed the village.

And Kino recognized this. He knew he could not avenge his family on his own. But with the village in rebellion, he could free his people and avenge his family.

Kino's mind raced through the limited knowledge he had, trying to remember of the uprisings and revolts his people had told of over the generations. But all of them ended in disaster, whole villages being destroyed, entire populations massacred. This problem was beyond him, he knew.

And so, Kino picked his way through the muddied always and wound about the brush houses. He heard whispers and saw peeping eyes, but payed them no heed.

Word had spread, he knew of his fall from grace. And now, he thought, divers were probably searching for the pearl deep in the waters. If only they knew of the dangers that lurked in the depths of the pearl's magnificent surface, that would sting, like a scorpion, any who dared seize it.

At last he stopped in the center of the sea of brush houses. The soaked weeds and grass clung to each other. Steam and smoke rose out through the grass and weeds that made up the walls and the roof of the little brush house. The faint murmurs died as Kino drew near.

"Hello," came a benign, fragile voice. Kino stooped and stepped through the dangling vines that served as the door to the hut. A fire burned in the middle of the floor and three men sat around it in a semi-circle warming their hands.

Two of the men were only about forty years of age, with dried, leathery skin and greying hair. The man in center was much older, almost seventy, and had to shrinking wisps of grey hair on either side of his head. He wore a welcoming smile, and his eyes held wisdom, and residue of mischief.

Kino bowed lightly, unsure of what to say, or how to address the elders.

"What troubles you, my friend?" asked the middle man.

Kino waited and gathered his thoughts. "My family. My family troubles me," he said at length.

The older man nodded, knowing of the state of Kino after his house, income, and family had been wrenched from his hands. Time healed all wounds, he knew, but he also knew Kino. He was not patient and calculating, he was brash and reckless. He would act on instinct, not on knowledge.

"I seek to restore my honor and avenge my family."

Again, the old man nodded his head. "But I need help."

This time, the old man frowned and inclined his head, studying Kino. Slowly, a knowing look passed over the old man's eyes. He poked the embers f the fire with a stick and a flame reemerged from the dying flames. "You seek . . . a uprising?"

It was Kino's turn to nod now, as the fire died as quickly as it had appeared. "You see Kino, a revolt is like an ember. It is fueled by anger and fear, two of the most dangerous spirits. If you fan the spark and treat it properly, it will turn into a fire, and burn like the heavens. But if you are not careful, you will be seared by the fire. In the end, the stick always burns."

Kino mulled over the words, or rather, warning. "You think it is foolish?"

"I did not say that. I think that's it's your choice, your path. Many before you have tried. Many before you have failed. But you must learn to live with the decision and its consequences, whether glorious, or tragic."

Kino idly picked up a small twig and poked at the ants scuttling across the earth. Kino jabbed at the ants and squashed them as they fled. They stood no chance. "I am prepared to do anything to avenge my family," Kino responded, with a steel to his voice.

"Are you prepared to die?"