Chapter Ten

Sal scooted off the bed and pulled me up with him. He kissed my forehead and I blushed furiously.

"Everything's going to be alright." He promised quietly.

I nodded and took a deep breath as he opened the door. Everyone was at the front of the bus, staring out of the window. We quickly joined them.

A man stood in front of the bus, aiming a gun at us. He had a bandanna around his mouth and a snap back on so I could only see his big, brown eyes. I could see the "Welcome to New York" sign behind him. We were so close.

He motioned for us to exit the bus and everyone looked at me. There really wasn't much of an option. I nodded and Q reluctantly opened the door to the bus.

I walked down the steps, Sal close behind. I held my hands up and everyone did the same. As we poured onto the pavement, the man approached us slowly.

As he reached us he lowered his gun. He pulled the bandana off of his face to reveal a normal looking young man. He was shorter than me, with big brown eyes. He had a shaggy brown beard. He was actually quite scrawny when he wasn't pointing a big gun at us.

"Hey you're the funny guys from the television." He pat Q's back. Q just looked at him wide eyed. "Oh uh sorry." He dropped the gun on the ground. "There's nothin in it anyway. Just a scare tactic." He shrugged and kicked it.

"Right." Q seemed to calm down a bit.

"Where are you guys headed?"

"Why does it matter?" I spoke up.

He looked at me and I saw a twinkle in his eye. He bit his lip. "Well hello there, Curves." His eyes scanned my body and I felt violated.

Sal blocked his path. "Don't you ever look at her."

"Fine, hello Red." He turned his attention to Bailey.

I snarled and rushed to her side. "Fuck you, you creep."

He shrugged and smirked. "When and where baby?"

I rolled my eyes at him and had to clench my fists to keep from punching the guy.

"Well anyway," he shrugged and turned away from us. "I would just go back the way you came if I were you. There ain't nothin much here anymore."

"What do you mean?" Joe spoke up, his voice wavering.

"This is a pretty big place, buddy. Add to that the fact that this is where the outbreak first started and you got chaos." The guy shrugged again like what he was saying didn't even matter.

I looked at Joe and his face fell. I watched as his heart broke right in front of my eyes.

I turned to the guy. "What do you mean the outbreak first started? Wouldn't it have been on the news?"

He shook his head. "It happened about a week ago. Since it's New York they thought maybe they could contain it, but oh boy were they wrong. They cut off all media, all cell towers, did everything they could. Some people made it out but most weren't so lucky. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones." He smiled like he was proud of himself.

Joe shook his head wildly. "No. You're wrong." I saw tears glistening down his cheeks.

"Whatever. Do what you want. Something's gonna kill you either way. Whether it's me or those things." He grinned at us.

His warning sent a chill down my spine. No one threatens my friends. We all made our way back up the stairs of the bus. I made sure I was last and walked straight towards the bag of weapons. I pulled out my axe and made my way back off the bus Everyone gave me questioning looks but no one tried to stop me.

I held the axe behind my back and walked towards the man. I swung my hips back and forth seductively with every step I took.

"Well hello there, Curves." He smirked at me.

I bit my lip and stopped a couple feet away from him. I took one hand from behind my back and started to unzip my jacket. He wolf whistled and sat down on the ground in front of me like a little kid.

I had to force myself not to roll my eyes as I tossed my jacket at him. He was defenseless and this was my opportunity. Before he knew what was happening I took my axe from behin my back. His eyes widened with horror and before he could move, I swung and the axe lodged deep into his neck.

I pulled it out and the wound immediately started spraying blood. Tears stained the mans cheek and he clutched his throat. I turned away and made my way back to the bus. Nobody threatens my friends.

I stomped up the stairs of the bus. I huffed as I realized I had left my jacket behind but it wasn't worth going back to get. I put my axe down on the table and sighed. Everyone was staring wide eyed at me.

"What?" I crossed my arms in front of me.

Joe was grinning at me but everyone else looked scared. "Thank you." He hugged me and I felt comforted for a second.

Murr shook his head. "Why are you thanking her?! She just killed an innocent human being." His neck twitched and he just stared at me.

"Innocent?" Anger bubbled inside of me. "He pointed a gun at you guys. He messed with your minds. He's a fucking creep and he threatened us. That doesn't sound innocent to me." I threw up my hands at them and before they could say anything else I stomped to the bathroom. I needed a shower before anything else. I felt filthy after talking to that disgusting man.

As I unbuttoned my pants and slid them off I heard a knock at the door. "Go away." I glared at the door. The person knocked again and I rolled my eyes. I opened the door a crack and found Sal's green eyes staring into mine.

"Mind if I come in?" He was pushing the door open before I even had time to answer.

I blushed and tried to cover myself up. I was only in underwear and a tank top.

He looked me up and down and bit his lip. I blushed even harder and felt butterflies in my stomach. "What you did out there was pretty amazing. I think Murr is the only one who's mad about it, with all his human psychology bull shit."

I shrugged. "I don't like when creeps threaten the people I love."

He nodded in understanding. "That distraction was pretty great too." He was biting his lip and staring me in the eyes. "Wish it hadn't ended."

Before I knew it I was pushed back against the wall. Sal's hands were on my hips and my hands found their way around his neck. He kissed me hard and I couldn't help but kiss back. I bit his bottom lip and he groaned into my mouth. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist and he pushed me into the wall even harder. He grinded against me and kissed and bit at my neck. I bit my lip to stifle my moans, knowing that the others would hear us if we were too loud.

He pulled back and looked me in the eyes. He was breathing heavily and sweat beaded on his forehead. "Eliana, you're perfect."

I smiled at him and pushed my forehead against his. "You are too, Sal."

He kissed me lightly and put me down. "Take your shower. You stink." He laughed as he left the bathroom.

I just shook my head and smiled at myself. He really was perfect.