Chapter Three | Philadelphia, PA

. . . . . .

It took us around two hours to get to Pennsylvania.

There was a bunch of traffic from the morning rush of people tiredly driving to work or school.

It surprisingly wasn't very hot today. But, of course, the day had barely started and we're barely 100 miles away from home.

Looking out my window, I found myself having second thoughts about going on this road trip.

Hell, I'm stuck in a car with Kellan and two other guys I barely even know. I'm not too worried about Kellan, but what if one of them tries to take advantage of me? What would I do?

I literally have zero to no knowledge in the art of self defense.

But, at the same time, my brother's the type of guy that wouldn't hang out with a bunch of sleazebags. Right?

I was so lost in my thoughts that I even forgot where I was for a little bit.

"Hey, uh, Reese, right?" Joey called from the back, breaking me from my thoughts, "You good? I swear, you haven't blinked for a good minute and I think your glasses are fogging up."

I blinked my eyes a good three times after realizing how dry they were before angling my head back to face Joey, who was sitting right behind Kellan's seat, "Yeah, sorry. I'm still a little tired. Didn't really sleep all that well last night because of all the last minute packing. I didn't really see this little road trip coming."

Kellan let out a muffled grunt after my statement and I resisted the urge to slap him right on his Adam's apple. I knew he wouldn't risk saying anything though. He and I were both aware that I basically hold whatever he had left of his dignity in my purse.

"Right? We didn't expect you to be comin' either in place of your flaky ass brother, sunshine." Jackson remarked from the back with his slight southern accent, "But we gladly welcome you into our car with open arms. Right Kel?"

Jackson then gave Kellan a pat on his shoulder, and Kellan responded with his emotionless eyes staring straight at the road and a half-hearted smile on his lips.

"I'm getting pretty hungry. How about you guys?" Kellan switched topics, completely disregarding Jackson's statement.

"I'm with you on that." Joey excitedly agreed, "Since we're almost in Philly, I know a place that we should eat at."

Kellan then looked up at the rearview mirror, presumably locking eyes with Joey before saying, "Lead the way, boss."

. . . . . .

We ended up at some indoor marketplace. Considering that it was 8 in the morning, the place was pretty packed. There were signs on signs pointing and saying "Sandwiches Here" or "Fresh Seafood Here", or anything else of the food variety. We were making our way through the crowd until we reached a huge sign reading "The Best Philly Cheesesteaks Made Here".

The line of people that stretched under it was comparably larger, though.

Seriously, though. Cheesesteaks? At 8 in the morning?

But once I got a good whiff of what was cooking, my question was immediately voided.

"My dad used to take me here a lot when I was a kid." Joey remarked, taking our place in line behind a teenaged girl taking pictures of every possible angle of the Philly cheesesteak sign, "I don't even remember the last time I've been here. It's been years."

"I've never had a Philly cheesesteak before," I remarked, Joey sending a look of surprise my way, "Is it any good?"

"Is it any good?" Joey replied, completely relaying what I had just said in disbelief, "You're shitting me. You've never had one at all before--or, anything close to it?"