2.

The second time I saw him, I was writing about Pride and Prejudice. I was getting to the best part in my essay, where I was really making the point that Elizabeth wasn't meant for Mr. Darcy after all when I heard the teacher's voice edging in and interrupting my writing flow.

With reluctance, I took a break to see what my teacher was talking about. Next to her was the boy from the grocery store, and he was looking right at me.

"Why don't you sit over there next to Elle?" She pointed to me. "She's relatively new too and would be able to give you a great perspective." He shrugged and shuffled over to me. Our teacher turned to address the class. "I hope you'll treat him very well. He comes all the way from England."

"What's your name?" I asked him.

"Zayn Malik." He frowned. "You weren't paying attention when the teacher introduced me?"

"Nope." I said simply.

"What's your name?" He asked after a long pause.

"Elle Darling." I smiled coyly. "You weren't paying attention when the teacher introduced me?"

He smirked and leaned forward in his seat. "I was too distracted by how beautiful you are." I felt my cheeks heat. I carefully moved my eyes back to my paper. What a jerk, I thought.

"Why did you move here?"

"My father's job transferred." He said in a bored tone. "Nothing too exciting. What about you?"

"Nothing too exciting." I echoed. He waited for me to elaborate but I continued to write.

"Mysterious girl." He muttered. More loudly he added, "So would you be willing to give me a tour?"

I nodded.

"Brilliant. I'll leave you to your writing then."

-x-

I was hyperaware that everyone was staring at us as we walked down the hallway. It was probably because of Zayn. Anyone with eyes could see that Zayn Malik was one of the most attractive human beings to grace our hallway.

"Elle!" I involuntarily smiled as I noticed my boyfriend, Adam, approaching us from down the hallway.

"Hi." I said reaching forward to hug him. Zayn cleared his throat next to us. "Oh! I'm sorry. Zayn this is my boyfriend Adam. Adam, this our newest student, Zayn."

Adam puffed up as he looked Zayn up and down, which was hilarious, because my boyfriend was about a head shorter than Zayn and a lot less buff. But I wasn't in it for the looks. I liked Adam because he was sweet and above all, my best friend. I'd known him since we were in elementary school. When we were in the 8th grade, he told me that he'd always liked me. We started dating immediately after.

Adam was a good boyfriend. He did things like bring over board games to play with me when I was sick. Adam would write sweet little love notes and slip them into my locker. And best of all, he was there for me when my dad died.

So, true to character, even when I could tell Adam was intimidated by Zayn he just said, "Welcome, Zayn." And that was that.

Zayn nodded. "It's a pleasure to meet you Adam."

"Is he sitting with us at lunch?" Adam asked me.

I gave a swift nod. "Yes. Unless you have someone else you want to sit by Zayn?" Zayn shrugged.

"Ok, let's go!"

-x-

Despite my initial impression, Zayn turned out to not be so bad. And although my only friend at school was Adam, Zayn easily joined us, making our duo into a trio. This is where my story truly starts...

A/N: Have you ever written a fanfic of your own?