8.

Things between Adam and I didn't get better

Things between Adam and I didn't get better. Two months into my move to LA, we ended up breaking up. It was painful, but probably for the best. I couldn't see myself ever returning to Pleasant view. I loved LA. Zayn and I, however, stayed close friends. We talked nearly every night before bed. Spring Break of our Senior Year of high school, he paid me a surprise visit.

I stood in the door with my jaw dropped, not believing that Zayn Malik was at my door. "Tada!" He said playfully. "Surprised?"
I squealed and jumped on him, squeezing him tightly. "How long are you here for?" I demanded.

"All of spring break."

Aunt D came up behind us. "Hi Zayn, I'm glad you made it." She took his bag and guitar from his hands. "I only have a couch for you right now, but... I might have a surprise for you later. Are you hungry?"

"Absolutely starving." Zayn lamented.

"Well, I can't cook at all, but you're lucky that Elle here is a master chef!"

Zayn looked at me in surprise and I gave him a wide grin. "I like it a lot." I told him earnestly.

"Are you sure you won't poison me?" He teased. At least, I think he was teasing me.

I put my hands on my hips in indignation. "Of course! I'm going to be a professional chef!"

Aunt Debbie cut in, "After college." She warned from over my shoulder. I refused to acknowledge her jab and instead kept his eyes on Zayn. This was a fight we'd been having for over a year now. After high school, I wanted to take the money that my father left me and open a restaurant. My Aunt vehemently disapproved.

"Let me whip you up something and then we can go on a tour of the city."

-x-

After Zayn finished eating, I ended dragging him all around town. We went to Santa Monica, to the Getty and back to the Walk of Fame. But there was one place that I had to show him.

"Hurry up slow poke! This place closes at sunset!" I called out behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know that Zayn was glaring at my back. I finally reached the ledge and sighed as the familiar panoramic view of Los Angeles appeared. I sat down, recalling when my Aunt Deb had first taken me here at the beginning of high school.

Zayn dragged his feet to where I was sitting "It's so hot." He took of his shirt and I had to look away before he caught me staring at his abs. I felt warm all over. Zayn had been good looking when I first met him and he was beautiful even now.

"Are you even paying attention to the view?" I accused.

"I-"He looked up and went silent for a beat. "... wow, Elle. This is beautiful."

"I know. I would hike up here all the time right after my mom left. It's ironic, but up here I didn't feel so alone." I jolted when I felt Zayn's hand intertwine with mine. His other hand reached so that he could gently grab my chin and force me to look at him.