1. Skyscraper

1. Skyscraper

<><><><><><><>

My breath hit the chilly November air in white puffs that seemed to linger in the air as if they were frozen by the temperature. I could feel my fingers numbing, even though they were burrowed deep into my pockets and swathed with my woolen mittens. I shuddered, not because of the bitter cold, but at what this New York City winter held in store since it was already freezing in fall.

The sight of the little music store tucked away between a coffee shop and a Tiffany's brought a grin to my face. Weird location, right?

The bell jingled when I opened the door, welcoming the blast of warm air from the vent. I tugged my mittens off and stuffed them back into my pockets. "Hi, Mr. Meyers," I greeted my boss, a seventy-something-year-old man who always sported a jolly smile on his face.

He glanced up from a book, pushing his thick, round glasses up the bridge of his nose. The corners of his eyes crinkled when he saw me and grinned. "Afternoon, Elise. Weather's awful, eh?"

"I think my fingers are frozen," I chuckled, walking over to stand in front of the glass counter full of guitar picks and various smaller pieces of instruments.

Mr. Meyers pointed a finger to where the piano classrooms were located. "Better get in there and warm them up before Hayley comes, hm?" he joked. I nodded and he proceeded to tell me where I was teaching today. "White room this time."

I was grinning to myself as I opened the door; this room was probably my favorite. The walls were white with ivory swirls, and the glossy, black piano set in the corner contrasted beautifully. The floor was dark hardwood all throughout the store.

My worn coat came off first and I hung it on the small coat-rack in the corner. Then, I pulled out the piano bench, sat down, and began the first few measures of Pachelbel Canon. Soon, I forgot about how numb my fingers were and just lost myself in the music. When I was about halfway through the song, I heard the creak of the door opening and removed my fingers from the keys, turning around.

"Don't stop!" Hayley cried indignantly, edging her body in through the doorway. "That was so pretty!"

I laughed and got up to help her take her coat off, ruffling her short, choppy mess of blonde hair. Hayley was just the sweetest little girl I'd ever met and I was so, so thankful to have her as a student. "If I don't stop, how are you supposed to get your lesson?"

She pouted. "But I like that song. Pleease, Elise? Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

"Tell you what." I crouched down in front of her so that we were eye to eye. "I promise I'll teach it to you once we're done with this book, okay?"

"Pinky promise?" Hayley outstretched a tiny finger and I locked it with mine.

"Pinky promise."

The next hour consisted of me teaching Hayley a short song called 'Raindrops' in her book. As she tried to get the hang of the first page from memory, I took the time to flip through the remaining pages. Eight more songs until she reached the end of the book, not including 'Raindrops'. If Hayley continued to learn at her fast pace, I was sure I'd be teaching her Canon in no time, maybe by the end of January.

When the hour hand struck six o'clock, Hayley bounced up from the bench and grabbed her book, shoving back inside her purple backpack. I was used to her quick way of leaving; her family always seemed to be busy.

"Bye, Elise!" Hayley hugged my knees. She was incredibly tiny and delicate for a nine-year-old. "See you next week?"

I smiled and waved. "See you next week."