2. Ballade Pour Adeline

<><><><><><><>

Sunday was my only really free day, so Jinora and I made it our girls' day. She occasionally dragged me to places that I was sure I wouldn't fit into, instead of the parks or malls we went to, like high-class restaurants or things like that. I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb, but that feeling was usually overpowered by me just being happy to spend time with my best friend.

This time, Jinora wasn't telling me the location of what we were going to, but instead told me that she'd pick me up at three thirty and that I'd "absolutely love, love, love" where she was taking us. That was another thing about her. Instead of having her limo driver chauffeur her everywhere, she insisted on getting her own driver's license and driving around her own car.

I pecked my mom on the cheek and she quickly turned her head to let out a hacking cough, avoiding the pot of thin chicken broth she was making. "I'm going out with Jinora." Mom coughed again and nodded weakly. I looked at her in concern. "Are you sure? I could stay home today to look after Jonah if you want."

"No, no," she protested. "You go out with Jinora."

I hesitated. She sounded like she was getting sick. "But I don't want to leave you at home alone with him and-"

"Honey, just go have fun," Mom smiled. "You worry too much. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm the kid and you're the mom," she joked.

I managed a grin. "Okay, if you say so. Love you! Bye, Jonah!" I called as I let myself out the door and into the hallway. 

The white Porsche Panamera was waiting in front of the lobby doors and it was drawing some of the building residents' attention. Of course. Ducking my head, I quickly darted outside and Jinora unlocked the door for me. I slid in, buckling my seat-belt. "People are staring." Some of them were even pointing at the car and taking pictures. Honestly.

"Well, good afternoon to you, too," my best friend laughed, revving up the engine. We sped out of the lane and into the traffic. "Hey, I like your skirt."

"You gave this to me," I chuckled.

"I know," she chirped, a laugh bubbling out of her.

It was a deep purple knee length circle skirt that I paired with a black sweater hidden under my bulky coat and sheer black tights. My shoes were these black ankle boots that had a little silver buckle on the side. The entire outfit was a present from her on my birthday last year.

Even when she practically begged to let her get stuff for me, I refused. I didn't like feeling as if I owed people, especially my best friend, who had loads of money to spend and one of the most generous personalities I'd ever come across.

Naturally, she found a way to get around it by basically giving me things on my birthday, Christmas, New Year's, and even Thanksgiving. If it was somehow considered a national holiday, she showed up at my door with a wrapped box and demanded that I open it in front of her. She and I were the exact same size, so clothes shopping wasn't an issue for her, and she would always remove the tags and destroy the receipts so that I couldn't return anything.

Sometimes, it made me wonder what the heck I did to get a friend like her.

Jinora was practically bouncing in her seat as she expertly maneuvered her way through the cars. "Guess where we're going?" She didn't even give me time to answer. "We're going to a spa!"

I blinked at her. I felt bad for asking but I just had to. "How much is it?"

My mind was busy trying to calculate how much pocket money I had in my beat up wallet, which might've been about...thirteen dollars? Earlier in the morning, my mom had tried to give me an extra ten dollars, but I'd shoved it right back at her and told her that I'd manage. Obviously, that amount of money wasn't going to cover going to a spa, but I thought we were just going around the city for fun like we usually did, not making a payment like this.