New Year

Oh my gosh, hello everyone! I haven't published anything since October! I'd like to say a few things to explain my absence. I just started at a new school in September and I now have a lot more work to do than I'm used to. I have to find ways to do community service so I can advance in my studies later. I'm also required to make my own money by my parents so I can pay for the food I eat, any books or electronics I want, and take care of the two cats and dog and hamster that are in the house. I'm not even a teenager so its pretty hard to make money at my age! I was gone for so long in October because it was my birthday month and that is the only month when my parents don't require me to pay for food. I'm sorry I've been gone so long but I can't make any promises as to when I'll be back again, I just had a few minutes to write and I felt bad for not being on. Hope you all enjoyed your holiday season!

Barry sat on the clean couch, looking out the window. The houses outside were still decorated in Christmas lights and cheap lawn inflatables of snowmen and reindeer even though it was December thirty-first. In just a few hours Iris would be home to welcome the new year with her family.
He decided to make some soup to welcome his fiance home from her quick trip to the office to get some files. He started by turning the stove on and putting the ingredients aside.
Joe walked in. "Smells good, Bear. What's cookin'?" Barry had just finished stirring the carrots into the broth. Nobody in the house really knew it, but Barry considered himself a good cook. "Soup for when Iris gets home. It's cold out there." Joe grunted and sat on the couch. "Yes! Football's on!" Barry turned to see several players clad in back uniforms tackling one player in a blue and red striped jersey. He never really understood the joy of football. What was so great about people getting injured for entertainment?
Just then Barry's cell phone rang. Contact name? Iris. He picked it up immediately with his right hand, his left still stirring the soup.
"Hey babe. The office busy today?" She cleared her throat on the other line. "Hey Bear. Yeah, about that, I don't think I'll be home in time for the ball drop."
Barry froze. "What's wrong? I thought you just stopped to pick up some files."
"A TON of people ended up getting sick over Christmas. Apparently the store sold some really bad turkey that they ate at the office party. But we didn't go. So I'm swamped here."
"Just bring it all home. You tell me what to write and it'll be done in a flash." He smiled at his pun.
"You're funny, Bear. I wish I could. Tell you what. It's seven o' clock right now, how about I come home as soon as I can and I'll bring some work with me so I can do it during dinner."
"Deal."
"I can practically smell the soup you're making through the phone. Have it ready by nine and I'll try to get it while it's warm. Love you Bear."
"Love you too Snowbunny." He hung up.
He saw Joe turn around to face him and make a fake expression of disgust. "You guys are so GROSS. Can't you learn to call each other nicknames when I'm not around?" The two laughed. "Just kidding Barry. You guys are cute."
As time went on, and it neared nine o' clock, Barry was worried that Iris wouldn't come home soon enough. "Don't worry. Even if she wasn't here at midnight, she'll be thinking of us and vice versa," Joe reassured him.
It had passed nine and had become ten. The soup was cold. Cisco and Caitlin were now at the house. It was nice to have them around, Barry thought, but it wasn't really New Years Eve without Iris at his side.
Eleven was getting closer. Everyone around him had begun to bring out the alcoholic drinks and were ready to party.
It was eleven thirty when the door opened. Barry enveloped her in a big hug. "Close." He said. Iris laughed. "Listen Barry, I wanted to say something but I'll do it closer to midnight." He nodded.
They sat around and chatted until eleven fifty when everything started to get exciting. Iris and Joe kept sharing knowing glances at each other, unbeknownst to Barry.
Eleven fifty-eight. Iris pulled her fiance to the middle of the room. Everyone was smiling wide grins at the couple.
"Barry, this year has been a whirlwind. We got engaged. You defeated a lot of bad people. I got promoted. I love spending time with you and I hope the new year brings us a lot of good things. I took so long to get home today because I found out I was getting promoted again." Barry smiled. "That's great! What now?" The timer to midnight went off on the television. Ten, nine, eight... Iris shyed away. "Actually, we're both getting promoted. Uh, to... parents. I'm pregnant."
Barry nearly passed out. All of a sudden it reached midnight. Everyone started yelling and celebrating. Barry just pulled Iris into a gentle hug and a passionate kiss. "I love you both."

[ I hope nobody gets offended by this chapter. Thank you guys for your support! ]