Raechel Harchey

2076

"You've come here today to seek help, is that right?" The seeper leant forward, closing the distance between Raechel and herself. Her glasses had shifted further down the bridge of her nose, removing the glass shield that separated her piercing, icy glare from Raechel's anxious gaze. The ridge in the centre of her nose made it look as though at some point it had been snapped in two and poorly stuck back together.

"Yes, that's right."

"Could you tell me exactly why you're here in as much detail as possible please? I would like to know why you think we can help you. It's imperative that we know for definite that what we do here is of benefit to you."

"What do you mean?" Raechel shifted awkwardly in her seat.

"No one comes to the Gauze without experiencing something awful they'd rather forget, it's the entire reason this place was created. It could be a nightmare that keeps coming back or a negative memory you cannot erase. People who come to us for help always have a reason and we need to know what yours is. Could you pinpoint your trigger for me please?"

Raechel looked down at her hands. "Doesn't it say in my records? I'd rather not re-live everything again if I can help it."

"I have the brief summary you wrote when you registered right here in front of me, but I'd like to hear the details directly from you if possible. I am interested in hearing why you've come to the conclusion that this is the best option for you. Transfers should never be taken lightly so you need to know exactly what you're getting into."

Raechel looked at the tablet the seeper held close to her, angling the screen so that it wasn't visible to her.

"My dad was driving through some woodland in Calnville City wh--"

"Your dad was driving?" The seeper interrupted, tapping something onto the screen.

"Yes, he was," Raechel continued. "It was the anniversary of my mother's death. We were heading up to a special spot where they used to go before my brother and I were born. Every year on the day of her death, we would all go to the spot and spend some time there together. It was also her favourite place for us to hike when she was alive. Anyway, I was just dozing in the back of the car and my little brother was in the front, cuddling our do--"

"You were sleeping at the time of the incident?" The seeper asked sharply.

"I was."

"Well, if that's the case then can I ask why this event has traumatised you? If you were not conscious, then how can you remember? I just need to ascertain the extent of your trauma." The seeper probed.

"No, I wasn't fully asleep. As I've already mentioned, I was only dozing. We hadn't been driving long enough for me to have fallen asleep properly." Raechel couldn't help but notice the seeper typing ferociously. She wondered what was being written about her. No matter how hard she squinted, it was too far away to make out any of the words.

"I'm just making a note of the significant details you disclose to me. This will help later if we decide to give you a transfer, as it means that we can choose a suitable match. Remember, every little detail makes a difference so don't hold anything back. We need to get this right first time." She gestured for Raechel to continue speaking as she smiled, revealing her teeth in an unsightly grin. Raechel assumed that this was meant to be reassuring but it had the opposite effect.

"My brother was cuddling our dog in the front seat," she paused, anticipating an interruption but the seeper stayed silent. "We were driving along this winding country road. The scenery is beautiful out there. There's so many trees in that valley, it looks like a scene from a movie. Anyway, we came round a corner and that's when the sun blinded my dad. It was only for a second bu--" Raechel choked on her words as she struggled to tell the story.

"That's all it takes, a single second." The seeper had seen many distressed individuals venture into the Gauze for help but there was something about Raechel that was different. She was much younger than the other patients, yet she seemed wise beyond her years. The pain in her eyes told the story of a young girl who was completely alone and the seeper found herself sympathising with her. There was a strength to her that many before hadn't possessed, yet just by recollecting the tragedy, her calm exterior had broken away.

"My dad never saw the other car coming at us. Neither of us noticed our car drifting into the other lane until it was too late. I should have been in that front seat." Her voice cracked and she quickly wiped away a tear that fell down her cheek.

"I'm so sorry Raechel. That sounds truly awful. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, having them here one moment and then the next they are gone. But I believe you survived for a reason, and so I would urge you to see your survival for what it truly is, a miracle." The seeper simply stared at Raechel, awaiting a response of some kind.

Raechel ran her fingers through her hair nervously. "I try to be thankful that I'm still here but when I think about them, all I want to do is be where they are."

"I'm sure you do; grief is one of the hardest things we go through in life." The seeper's face softened slightly.

"We never did find Tripp either." Raechel continued slowly, wiping the tears from her eyes with the palm of her hand.

"Tripp?"

"Tripp, our dog. When the car collided with the other vehicle it tumbled off the road. I survived, and my family were killed but there was no evidence of what happened to my puppy. My brother had a hold of him when we crashed but I don't know what happened after that." Raechel closed her eyes and took a slow breath in.

"Raechel, you lost your father and your brother in a tragic accident and you're thinking about the fate of your dog." The seeper sounded shocked at this. Raechel had thought that there was nothing that could shock a seeper. They were known for their lack of emotion. That was understandable considering the traumatic stories they must encounter every single day.

"Yes, I suppose I am, but then why question the fate of my father and brother when I know that they're dead? Why question what happened to them when I am living a life that they're no longer a part of? What is there left for me to question, then what happened to my little dog?"

There was a moment of silence as the seeper considered Raechel's words.

"Raechel, I know this is hard for you, but I'm so pleased you've come here today to seek help. Sometimes the most difficult part of this whole process is admitting you are not coping on your own. Help will only come to you if you seek it. From what you have told me, I think you would benefit from a transfer. Is that something you would be happy with?"

"Yes, I'd like that. I fear that if I don't go through with this then I may not be here much longer."

"And what a terrible waste that would be." The seeper offered a small smile.

"I must make you aware though that the memory you receive will have been donated from an anonymous deceased donor. Do you understand that?" She leant forward to pass Raechel a consent form.

"I understand," she said. Her hand shook as she signed the paper. "Thank you. I feel like I'm one step closer to living again."

"I'm glad we can help you."

Raechel ran her hands over her knees and glanced out the window, just as the first raindrops that had rolled in with a summer storm began to hit the glass.