09. Awkward Dancing

Samantha Victoria Johnson

There was one thought that was running through my head as I stood on the dance floor. I was hella underdressed. While all the girls and women around me were in short dresses, I was still in a heavy sweatshirt, black jeans and my pair of worn out maroon converse.

It was mildly making me want to flee for the hills, but then vodka happened.

Music buzzed around me till the point where I thought it was all in my head. Laser lights beamed across the dance floor in disorderly patterns. People were pressed up into me from all direction but I was too busy to notice. The DJ was playing some hit song I didn't bother to really hear.

I was drunk and no doubt Jay was too. Landon and his girlfriend, Reina had invited us down onto the "party floor" and then, soon disappeared. Of course, I had caught them making out on one of the bar stools. They had probably gone to their rooms to release all that downer area tension.

Jay and I had lost ourselves when one of his favorite songs started playing. At first, it was just hand in hand, awkwardly bouncing to the beat but then, everything escalated. Blame it onto the waitress that served us drinks.

My eyes took in Jay's whole figure, the way his soccer jersey fit him to the easy smirk that he was sporting. Everything about him looked fascinating at the moment and somehow, I kept moving closer and closer to him. Jay didn't seem to mind it.

He twirled me before resting his hand back where he had before, on the side of my waist, right beneath my sweater. His fingers were burning my freakishly cold skin and I loved every part of it. We swayed our hips aimlessly in all directions, but it seemed everyone else was doing the same.

Not once had lunatic aunty or too-broken to admit brother crossed my mind. I didn't think at all about the pressures of school or how people would judge me because of that picture.

But something did bother me. How close we were standing and how drunk we were; I didn't want to do anything I would regret.

Jay was mumbling the words of the songs. I wanted to back away from him, not wanting to fall for his striking blue eyes but something wouldn't let me. Letting my fingers free, I planted both hands on his hard pectorals planning to nudge him away from me but instead; I fisted my hands onto his shirt and brought him nearer.

His chest was skimming over mine, heat radiating from him warming up from the inside. As the music continued, he grasped my hand and gave me a twirl so my back was against his chest. The sensation alone of his rippled abdomen made my head go wild.

I felt a hot breath of my neck, then the tender brush of lips grazing the area where my neck met the shoulder. It was like fire burning as they made contact with my skin. A hand ran through my hair, brushing it to the other side. A sigh left my lips as I closed my eyes and let my head rest on his shoulder.

The other hand slid around my waist, pulling me close to his pine scented body. I hear the soft exhale of his breathing on my body which made my skin become covered in goose bumps.

As his kisses traveled up my neck, a wave of pleasure surged through my entire body. His cologne was intoxicating, mixed with a musky aftershave.

The Halloween party scandal was something I didn't want to repeat but then again, Jay's kisses were like a drug. After the high came down, I felt empty and wanted him back.

Jay's satiny voice echoed in my ear but I was too lost to understand.

Why on Earth was this handsome boy dancing with my ugly butt. I had probably asked myself that countless timed but every time I thought about our kiss and especially what was happening right now-the question came running back.