Chapter 2 - The Demon

It was a breezy night compared to other nights and Rachel saw a demon with a reptile’s body but a bunny’s tail, out of all the demons she has killed, this one had to be the ugliest of all of them. Jace mouthed her to keep quiet. Rachel crouched down and traced a silent rune on her ankle with her stele. Then both of them crept to the hedges next to the roof and hid as they thought of an attack plan.

  ‘What should we do?’ Rachel whispered. Jace was deep in his thoughts and couldn’t answer Rachel but just then, the demon turned around, as if it had heard what Rachel had said and it hissed, ‘Shadowhuntersssss’ Rachel’s heart skipped a beat and without thinking, she whispered ‘Lantir’ The seraph blade closest to her glowed and illuminated the pitch black environment like a torch and she jumped out of the bushes and threw it straight at the demon.

  Just as Rachel thought she had beaten a demon, the blade that had landed on the demon’s chest flew out and the demon hissed,’Verbal attacks can’t harm me, young one. The only way I can die is to suicide, and yet I won’t dear.’It gave out an evil grin and the blade had replicas all around it and they all plunged back to Rachel. She dodged and ducked and at last, one shot her right under her armipit, which she tucked it there and prentended that she was shot, ‘Ow!’She mocked. Then she fell on the ground, it was the only way to think of a plan in such a situation. She thought, if the demon couldn’t be attacked verbally, it must have the Mark of Cain, in which the Daylighter Simon had, but demons couldn’t possibly bear that ancient Mark, it was for those that are blessed by God or only Clary could give that mark… She was deep in her thoughts when she heard a scream—Jace was attacked by the demon and a seraph blade was sticking out near his rib cage. Rachel gasped, but she couldn’t move, or the demon would sense her and know that she wasn’t really hit by her own blade. Think Rachel, think! Rachel persuaded herself to think like a real shadowhunter, if it couldn’t be attacked verbally, then I could attack it mentally! She glanced over to check on Jace, who was desperately trying to trace an iratze on his skin.